• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good or bad idea?

Ed Carlson

As much as I would like to see it year round.. retail space is limited nearly everywhere you go. Hunting sports are big business and I really can't say I think it would be a good idea for a store to take retail space away from hunting gear for ice fishing. (thinking from the store's perspective). Sure there may be some sales going on if ice fishing gear was out, however with nearly all stores following the same general model I don't think they feel the need to change to get a couple more sales. They need to move that hunting gear first! I am generally speaking of big box stores. Smaller specaility shops are a different mindset for which I haven't spent enough time in to see when they start taking the ice gear out. I usually only hit Thorne bros or similar shops a few times a year because the good ones are usually quite a haul from where I live and those trips are usually "in season" trips.

Fishing is seasonal, at least where we have seasons. I am sure most people who fish four seasons do some kind of equipment shifting to match the weather. However some items that are used all year round should not leave the shelfs.

Love it I buy and shop small shops.Never get tired of seeing ice fishing stuff.Lots of different things in use across ice land.I re invent myself acouple times each season with new stuff and ideas I seen and pickup.Hope to see you all on the ice.ICE JOHN8-6-08 I just brought50+ icejigs and a good size Ottersled for a song.The shop has ice stuff out year around!!

Let me rephrase this question a bit.

If the ice fishing gear were set in stores as early as August, would you actually buy any ice gear that early, or would you wait tell November to do your pre-season shopping?

I think mid-October would probably be the earliest I would consider purchasing Ice Fishing stuff.

What I would like to see is stores actually restocking the "necessary" ice fishing items throughout the season, and then not pulling the gear off the shelves when walleye season closes late February.

How about if there were Jack-O-Lanterns, Turkeys, Pilgrim & First nation people......and Santa Clause (in full camo)....with Rudolf and the whole herd decorations...what then?

Would all that drive you into a early season ice-fishing buying frenzy?

wink

Yea, last year it seems like mid november they are just getting ice stuff out and when the weather cools one wants to shop for ice fishing stuff. but it's not there yet.

Just hide the rapalas by then wink other wise i buy more of them.

Northlander I tend to agree, although expect to see it far sooner than that this season.

I think Santa will be wearing Speedos and 40 Sunblock. smile

On the re-order of depleted stock, ya...it's frustrating but it gets ordered and we have to wait for the suppliers to catch up with the rush.

Many hot items are more often than not completely sold out for the season by first ice and retailers have to scramble to get re-stock product from here and there, if it is available at all.

You try to anticipate what you can and you always find desired amounts get cut in half...mysteriously, and again latter you need to scramble to find more. It is seldom as easy as push a bottom and the truck rolls in with more, of anything.

PS: I have a buddy Big Shanon, that go's berserk every time he see's Christmas stuff out as early as Thanksgiving...if it's before before Halloween...Oh Boy....look out! LOL!! mad

I don't like to see all that stuff out early either. It chaps me when I see Christmas stuff out in early October. Finish your hunting gear and then put out the ice stuff. Besides, some of the best open water fishing is Sept. and Oct. anyway.

I might not buy a new ice rod for me right now, but Mrs. Looney has a summertime birthday, and she really needs one of those fancy new Mitchell rods. It sure would be nice if I could just slide in to GM and pick one of those up, as well as some flowers or the appropriate paperwork.

I'm with the October crowd....mid if not late October. Pheasant season opens at that time plus there are still days to get out in the boat. I'm not saying I wouldn't look at the stuff while picking up stuff for hunting, but I'm pretty sure I won't buy any ice fishing gear until mid to late November when the days start getting colder and my thoughts turn to the upcoming freeze.

I'm always ready to purchase ice gear and I am even now purchasing some online and have been since it's about the only place I can find it at this time of year . It totally ticks me that the only Bass Pro in Canada starts putting ice gear away by mid February although the season here has hardly gotten into full swing .

TD