• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

is anyone using these for walleye?

Jordyn Kaufer

I have never done well using spinners for walleye. For me they just dont seem to like it. If fished the Croix for years and have only gotten 2 walleyes to bite on spinners similiar to the ones you have.

If your casting I think sticking to crank bait or husky jerk-baits or even jigs will give you better luck.

They can be effective if walleyes are in shallow areas. I've caught several eyes fishing the mississippi on spinner simuliar to these in rapids areas. Lots of smallmouth bass and pike as well. I don't use them much anymore as I usually fall back on jigs or cranks when fishing these areas now.

I agree with the shallow water walleye and the lure. Used something similar in the past to catch a lot of different species, and walleyes are one of them.

But, if you can find a way to get them down deeper, they will work great. Bottom bouncer, etc. is a good way to go.

If you're not able to do that (no boat will make that pretty hard), try putting the spinner on a short leader, with a weight heavy enough to get the spinner to bottom. That way it's something that you could cast & retrieve from shore.

OR... I've used something similar for rainbow trout in deeper water while I was living in Idaho. Three-way swivel, heavy weight on one side, leader with the spinner on the other, Slip-bobber hooked to the third, set to allow the weight to get on bottom, and the spinner to do it's thing behind it in the current. Works great for moving water, like you'd have in a river situation.

Good luck, and keep fishing! the more you're out there, the more you'll learn. Don't be afraid to try different stuff. You might just figure out a new way to catch fish!

If your going to think about doing that I would just pull a crawler harness. Plus that inline spinner has some weight to it and it behind a slip sinker would probably snag up too much.

Shallow casting is what the inlines are good for.