• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bulldawgs

Glided or jerked, always keeping the line tight when its jerked, IMO. One guide once told me there was no wrong way to fish them. Can't say I heard that they get bit like a bass on a plastic worm.

It's a go-to bait in cabbage. Get it stuck in there and just rip it out as hard as you can, that really drives em nuts...you might be pulling half the weedbed back to the boat but often times they are still right behind it.

Funny propster and I where just talking about this. I like to sweep or glide the dogs back in. They always seem to hit on the pause and at this time people usually have slack in there line dont even know they got hit tell the next pull. but they will smash these baits you want to real up the slack so you can detect the hit.

I like to use it as a throw back bait. I keep an orange and black one rigged at all times on a spare rod. When a ski comes in slow and not really interested I quickly grab the spare rod and toss it out. Doesn't work all the time, but it has on occasion.

Try it.

I kind of slow roll them in, especially the mags, looking to get a little deeper on the weed edges, then rip off the weeds as they tick the tops of the weeds. Rippin' in the cabbage has won tourneys, and burned out reels at the same time! Reg size I'll bring in pretty quick sometimes over the weed tops up shallow.

RincRat: Sometimes the strike is not hard, you always have to remember to bury the hooks once you feel a fish. I've lost a couple that grabbed the Dawg and I didn't drop the hammer on a good hookset.

The only one I own is a heli dawg and it seems the only way is a steady retreive. Too fast and its coming in sideways. Anyone else experience that? I am probably going to buy a reg or mag bulldawg in all white or glow for night.

I just got my 7000i red delivered today, can't wait to get some line on it and hit the water!

Oh yeah tell me about it... Was fishing with Propster on WBL last nite... no takers no sights NOTHING then while we were moving to other spot... I glanced over to my SuperD and was flabergasted... theres only half tail left... with plenty teeth marks on the remaining tail... &%$#@... that night was the first time I used that particular SuperD...

Oh yeah tell me about it... Was fishing with Propster on WBL last nite... no takers no sights NOTHING then while we were moving to other spot... I glanced over to my SuperD and was flabergasted... theres only half tail left... with plenty teeth marks on the remaining tail... &%$#@... that night was the first time I used that particular SuperD...

I was out too, I cannot believe how many boats are out there pitching the big baits. No wonder the bite is tough this year. I bet I saw at least 25 boats on 1 side of the lake all throwing for ski's.

Rat - my best retreive is a lift and drop - 9 oclock to 11 oclock with a steady consistent crank. there is no wrong way to work the dawg but a retreive like this usually lets you feel it when they eat and you can drop and set hard. Setting yourself up for a good hookset is the most important part of the dawgs IMO and you won't miss many fish as long as you give yourself a chance to stick them good.

my buddy cast one off the split ring last year. hear it happens quite a bit. Musky Innovations seems to have cheap stuff. I took 3 casts with a black/orange blade chatterbait and the orange peeled right off

Hey Marc - thats dedication, fishing until 1am and then getting online. You must have today off smile Last night Jim was throwing 3 different bulldawgs and didn't get any action on them, but it was slow for all together.

I was using a bulldawg last night and after a retrieval was just dangling it in the water next to the boat and a muskie came up and missed it. Later I caught a nice northern on it. Action seemed to be up last night. One muskie jumped completely out of the water at my friend's topwater bait and missed. Kind of frustrating to not catch any muskies but did get a few nice northerns.

When you guys fish bulldawgs at night do you slow it down and use a more stead retrieve? Or or do you still rip em'? I know with other night presentations slow, vibrating offerings seem to be best.

i don't use it too much at night but in general it's good slow down a little and keep it simple in the dark. i still use a gentle lift/drop in the dark when i do end up throwing the dawg but my choice is usually a bucktail.