• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suggestions anyone?

That's a loaded question, you will get a ton of suggestions. Spinners range in wide rvariety of sizes.

Get some Colorado and Indiana blades. Sizes will vary sizes 2,3, and 4's are common. Colors are endless. Green, gold & silver hammered, orange, chart., pink, watermelon, rainbow, purple, glow, For beads get red, green , purple, pink, blue, chart. are just some of the popular colors. I guess I would say, if the color looks good to you buy it and give it a try.

Rigging them. I make my own. Usually a 4-7 ft snell. Start with a one bead. Then put on the clevis. Get the clevises that you can quick change the spinners. Northland tackle makes these. After that it takes a series of beads. How many depends on the size of the beads. What you want to end up with is put as many beads as it takes to get the bottom of the spinner to just hit the eye of the hook. Once you have enough beads then tie

on the hook.

Spinners are a very effective way to catch Walleyes. Use leeches or night crawlers.

If you have any more questions after this, let me know.

Young Fisher Guy,

Those are a variety of spinner that Mepps makes called the dressed Aglia, and they work very well in my experience, at least with trout. Here are some other varieties that you might consider as well, particularly the two on the bottom left of this image. Try a 3" or so twister tail grub, live minnow or leech behind the junebug style and it should produce some strikes.

The image is too big to display here, but you can find it at this location: http://www.whaticaught.com/RIGS_and_KNOTS/spinners.bmp

Good Luck!

Balto

When people talk about spinners for walleyes, they are usually referring to spinner blades on live bait rigs.

Common rigging would be to use a sliding slip sinker or a bottom bouncer for a weight, then have a snell of 30 inches to 10 feet or more behind the weight. In front of the bait are colored beads and a spinner blade for flash and color attraction. Spinner rigs are very popular with night crawlers, and with minnows and leeches too.

Live bait rigs with spinner blades are really popular for several reasons, but they key is that they catch walleyes because they are fished on the bottom where walleyes tend to be, and they can be fished slowly. The "problem" with a spinner like you have in the photo is they are hard to fish deep, so they are most effective when fish are shallow, and/or for fish that like to chase and run down their prey like pike, muskies and trout.

We use a brand called Slayer, they are sold at a BP station in I. Falls.

They come in 2 different hook sizes and about 15 different colors.

We just clip them to the swivel and pop on a minnow and start backtrolling.

They are dynamite, my favorite color is red reflecto on a silver blade.

have you ever considered running a spinner (like the one in my picture) on a lindy type setup?

No, I never have considered that. In a lindy type setup the slip sinker provides the weight, and the blade / beads / hooks etc. more or less rides along behind it without sinking to the bottom unless you're going really slow. Many times you would even add a float or two to help keep the rig off the bottom.

With the spinner you're asking about, the wire shaft and metal bead would make it want to sink. You could get around that by going faster or by holding your lindy weight up off the bottom farther so your spinner didn't drag ....... but I think a typical lindy rig setup is a better way to go.

As others have mentioned, the in-line spinner you're asking about is typically used in shallow water, or over weeds, or in rapids, etc. Those are the situations where it will excel.

You could cast out your spinner and let it sink near the bottom before you started your retrieve - use the countdown method, after it hits the water start a steady count until it hits the bottom, then on your next cast start your retrieve a count or two before it hits bottom.