Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spudhauler

Old tree / new tree

4 posts in this topic

I cut down a tree this past spring, I think it was an Ash tree. I dug down a foot or so and cut the stump below the soil level, then backfilled in and planted grass. Of course now there are new tree sprouts or "suckers" that continue to grow up from that area. Normal lawn mowing takes care of this. My question is if I let them grow and prune back the suckers so I have just one branch coming, will it turn into a viable tree?

Yes - the only thing to be concerned about is that the old stump is going to rot and decay over time and depending on how the new tree is growing out of or attached to the old stump - it may be a weak spot and source of decay for the new tree as well.

I wouldnt recommend getting a new tree by doing this. A stiff wind will come and blew your new sucker tree over. The attachment to the old stump will always be weak. This tree will be very dangerous if it were allowed to get big.

Your best option- hit all the suckers with round-up. This should end the old tree. Then go out and find beautiful new Oak.

Thanks guys, I will start over with a new tree.