• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleyes on Farm Lake?

Balto

Does anyone know of any spots and techniques that work well for catching walleye on Farm Lake in the Ely area? I have fished it and South Farm before so I'm somewhat familiar with the lakes, but don't know of any good spots as of yet.

I've had good luck with eater size northern pike on South Farm, and would like to target them too.

I'll be making a fishing trip to Ely about the third week in August, and any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Balto

Rodmaker,

I read the posts and there's lots of good information in there. Is the reef the shallow spot directly north of the big island on farm lake? I would like to try it out.

Also, which access is it that you said to troll from to the boy scout camp, I see there are two of them on the map, the northern one of which looked pretty shallow so I wasn't sure.

I caught 2 northerns last year on the South Farm weed beds off of the first island on the right in about 8 feet of water. are there any of those type spots on Farm Lake that are good?

Thanks for the help,

Balto

I hope you have better luck then we did. I just got back from Farm/white iron. We got lots and big rock bass. only a few walleyes and northerns, all very small. Biggest walleye was 11" and northern was 19". All went back in the lake. We tried trolling cranks and bobbering with leeches and crawlers. Don't know if much was happening, I talked to a few guys and they didn't get much either. I was going to post this in the Ely forum but I figured this would work. Just FYI, it seems we had the most walleyes (although smaller ones) was in about 9-12 FOW with smaller jigs and pieces of crawler. We got our few notherns On white Iron, at the first Island (main lake side) on your left as your coming from farm. good luck to you

Did you talk to Pat the guide who works out of timbertrail when you were there???.

I know one year when we went in Aug. we ran into the same fishing as you described. We ended up "salvaging" some Eyes the last two days. Found them in the deeper water off the reef. Trolled cranks in 20 ft. After they quit hitting them. We put slip bobbers in front of them. It wasn't fast & furious, but we caught enough for a meal for 9 of us.

No Smallies????

We stayed at Silver Rapids Lodge, We tried everything we could think of. We did get a few Smallies, they were fun to catch, but we were looking for a meal. We rented a boat from them, and I just brought my ice fishing vexilar, so without a high speed transducer we were at a dissadvantage. I was a fun trip and liked just checking out the lakes and islands. A couple guys that were camping next to us went out with a guide (don't know who) and they got less then us. Would diffinetly like to go back up with my own boat and try again. maybe a little later in the fall. I'm sure the fishing picks up more.

Hi all,

Sorry it took me so long to get my post on fishing results back on here.

We stayed at Timber Trail Lodge and had a very pleasant experience. I talked to Bill and several of the other folks there and got some good tips, but unfortunately had absolutely no luck with fishing. I tried jigging, trolling and casting ump-teen different lures and setups but couldn't get anything to bite.

I talked to some gentlemen that were staying next door to us and they seemed to do alright, but were also disappointed with the poor fishing due to stormy weather that week. They had five lines in the water including the guide's and managed to catch 12 walleyes over two days on Farm.

Myself and several others will be going to Canada in June to fish for norhterns, walleyes and lake trout, so hopefully I'll have better results.

Thanks for the posts and good fishing!

Balto