Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
tom_w

Help me catch fish

It's hot and muggy. All the places I catch fish in the spring aren't producing for me. My son is losing interest. I fish some city lakes, some suburban lakes and the river. I'll drop minnows in the river, fish bass and northerns with worms and spinnerbaits and the like. I have been doing bad for a couple weeks. Where can I go to catch fish? I just want fish. period. Walleyes, bass, catfish, I don't care. Live bait, artificals, in my boat or from shore. I need help. I think when I quit fishing years ago it was in August.

I would go out on the weedline and alittle shallower pull a crawler, leech or sucker minnow around with a lindy rig or a jig. that would be my best bet

Fishing has been tough for me too so don't worry, Try your deep weedlines and try downsizing a bit...At the very least you can always run into some panfish.

on those hot days just like us humans like sitting inside w/ the AC full blast fish like cover Weeds, Docks, ect... try those areas.

Hope that helps or at least words of encouragement.

Good Luck,

CP

fish early/fish late and downsizing in baits never does harm. its been tough for a lot of guys around here except for the panfish guys. make sure your bait is live and well dead bait usually does not get touch unless it is a white bass, channel cat and of course gar

I will try downsizing. That is interesting. I think I did need some encouragement. Perhaps I'll use more live bait. The artificials seem to be doing the worst.

I suggest fishing during the "power hours." I'd say roughly 80% of my total catch this year has been during that time slot....regardless of species. What's also nice is there is a lot less boater traffic during these time periods. I've noticed this year how much of an impact outside elements can play a negative role in my fishing....Constantly being bothered by huge wakes/rollers and just general douche-baggery during the day can really break down a guy's ability to catch fish. As with anything you do, having a positive state of mind can yield positive results.

Stay positive....keep those lines in the water.

Yeah, I have not been terribly positive. In the spring I fished with intent. Now I am kind of waiting for fish. I bet i am half as effective.

Anyone want to throw me a decent spot? I was thinking of going out to a lake in Carver. Maybe below the Ford dam on the river.

Well, I trolled cranks in a city lake last night for the he!! of it and I caught a couple small walleye. I am happy to get something in the boat.

walleye.jpg

Try Gulp minnows in the 2 to 2.5 inch range and use a jig in the weeds.....I have been using a 1/16 oz jig and catching everything from dogfish-northerns-bass-walleyes-crappies-sunnies-perch right in the weeds...just drift or use the trolling motor and slowley search.......

Hey, Tom... We oughtta get out again sometime. I've been getting into a few here and there trolling cranks and crawler harnesses. I was out on Friday morning and got three.

I also had another encounter with a surface-swimming musky... this time he followed me in to the boat ramp and tapped my canoe. Sweet.

benandhisbeard at hotmail.

Well, between evening fishing and small streams I have managed to catch quite a few smallmouths and walleye. Some largemouths and other fish mixed in. Thanks for all the advice.