• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New law-Co detectors?

Huskie

Would like to settle a disagreement, ok arguement. Does the new law that went into effect Aug 1st., require carbon monoxide detectors in ALL houses in Mn? Is anything grandfathered in? Or does it apply to only rental property? Cheap safety item, I wouldn't be without one myself. Thanks

Ok, this is right from the statute which is posted at: MN CO Detector Statute

"Every single family dwelling and every dwelling unit in a multifamily dwelling must have an approved and operational carbon monoxide alarm installed within ten feet of each room lawfully used for sleeping purposes."

Regarding applicability....

"This section is effective January 1, 2007, for all newly constructed single family and multifamily dwelling units for which building permits were issued on or after January 1, 2007; August 1, 2008, for all existing single family dwelling units; and August 1, 2009, for all multifamily dwelling units."

Government will be the enforcers of the law, but the insurance companies are the ones pushing these laws.

Personally, I don't see them enforcing this law. They don't have the funds or man-power to go door to door to check this. My guess is it will be with building permits.

I just picked up a building permit for an addition. There were a few papers about this and about egress windows.

If they do somehow enforce this, it will be a great business to get into. There will be wires fished everywhere through these houses because I believe they have to all be interconnected and hard wired. Last year battery operated was OK, but it doesn't appear to be anymore.

I just don't see how they can force people to spend money on something like this with the times we are in right now.

Strange that they would pass a law that couldn't possibly be enforced. I could understand the first part about new construction or permits because that could be enforced just like it was for smoke alarms.

Insurance companies could force it by either not selling insurance or charging a huge premium if it isn't installed and personally, this is how it should be done.

Just like the smoking ban, helmit laws, seatbelt laws, etc., this is just another example of government sticking its ugly head into the private lives of it citizens. They have no business doing this.

Bob

Just like the smoking ban, helmit laws, seatbelt laws, etc., this is just another example of government sticking its ugly head into the private lives of it citizens. They have no business doing this.

Bob

Exactly!

But like I said, each one of those laws is pushed by insurance companies. The government just gets paid off to pass the law.

Maybe it is just our own fault.

No, it's always someone elses fault, that's why we have all the lawsuits and laws to protect us from ourselves. In this case I'm sure after someone died the parent talked to his/her legislature and said "we should have had a law on this and my kid would still be alive" instead of saying, "I should have had one, it's my fault".

I stand corrected. You are exactly right mnfishinguy.

My wife's uncle is a fireman, so we hear about this stuff alot. I currently don't have a CO detector, but will have some soon. Really need to get one at the cabin also.

Installed. "Installed" means that an approved carbon monoxide alarm is hard-wired into the electrical wiring, directly plugged into an electrical outlet without a switch, or, if the alarm is battery-powered, attached to the wall of the dwelling.

Thats pretty easy to do.

I didn't read all the code but just like fire alarms, if you pull a permit you'll hard wire for that.

Government will be the enforcers of the law, but the insurance companies are the ones pushing these laws.

Personally, I don't see them enforcing this law. They don't have the funds or man-power to go door to door to check this. My guess is it will be with building permits.

I just picked up a building permit for an addition. There were a few papers about this and about egress windows.

If they do somehow enforce this, it will be a great business to get into. There will be wires fished everywhere through these houses because I believe they have to all be interconnected and hard wired. Last year battery operated was OK, but it doesn't appear to be anymore.

I just don't see how they can force people to spend money on something like this with the times we are in right now.

Are you sure the plug in or battery operated ones are not legal anymore? I noticed a local stores ad "flyer" was pushimg them big time--maybe just to dump them though. And yes the bill was the result of a child who died as a result of co poisoning and my condolences go out to that family.

Huskie: Read Frank's post above, they can be battery operated...

4Wanderingeyes:

It looks that way. I have the same problem. Full electric house and I am required to have one. The weird thing is that they made an exemption for this in multi-family dwellings but not single family homes. Figure that one out???

Also, facilities run by the state are exempt!