• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

More "Porkie" Frogs...

Now that they have been properly identified, here's a couple more of those deadly little hunters! Frogs in general are very proficiant when it comes to predation. However watching these little guys scaling vertical walls while hunting is amazing!

Here's a Brown Tree frog sticking around in a vertical position.

328_2858-1.jpg

Here's the cousin, the Green Tree frog posed and ready to react when the opportunity presents itself.

328_2853-1.jpg

Hi Sam,

I'll go out on a limb and say that what you have here is either a Cope's gray treefrog or a Eastern gray treefrog. They basically look alike with subtle differences, I guess the best way to differentiate between the two species found in MN is the noise they make. I get these guys by the bundle out back and my Daughter (3) just loves them! I'd post my pics, but won't in your thread... maybe I'll do it in anoter thread at some point.

We had one down here that changed between the colors a couple of times for us. didn't have my camera with me though frown

Now there's something that did cross my mind! I was wondering whether or not they had the ability to change color....you just answered that for me and I thank you!

Good job, Buzz, on the ID, and nice images, Stu!

The range of the Cope's barely extends into a narrow sliver of Manitoba along and just outside the Red River, according to my guide, while the eastern occupies a much larger portion of Manitoba.

I'm going to guess it's an eastern. One of the noticeable but subtle differences is that Cope's has smoother skin, and all the treefrogs Stu has posted have a rougher, more cobbled skin. It's just a guess, though.

An excellent guide for these things around the Great Lakes region is "Amphibians and Reptiles of the North Woods" by Allen Blake Sheldon. It's part of the North Woods Naturalist Series, all dedicated to northwoods/Great Lakes species. Other guides in the series include damselflies, dragonflies, lichens, butterflies, spiders. They seem to come out with additions to the series every year or two.

For specific northwoods species covered within the series, they are my go-to guides.