• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stand by Home Generator?

Pherris

Question

I am considering the purchase of a automatic stand by generator for my home. We seem to lose power every time the wind blows. I have called excel energy and they have said that they will look into it. (yea sure). Any way I have a gas generator but it is a pain to drag it out in yard run the cords and so on. I am out of town alot and if we lose power when I am gone my wife has to deal with the gas generator so to eliminate the hassel I am considering getting one of those units that hook up to natural gas and kick in automaticly. In researching them there is a big differance in price so I am wondering if anyone has one and what considerations should be made prior to purchase. All replies appriciated. Thanks Pherris

4 answers to this question

Your in Bloomington---If you were out of the city I could see it! Start calling the energy commission and complaining!

Excell has a poor record!

These units are great if planed for while building,so the wireing can be done.Now not only the cost of the unit (you dont just plug it in)you'll have a large sum involved in installation,boxes & wire.

I'd call a elec. contractor and price out install before going further.

I bet you would drop $4k + for a natural gas powered automatic generator. You can haul a lot of cords for that. YOu could consider having a panel installed in the house that the gen hooks up to. I have one and all I have to do is throw one switch, hook up the gen. cord and start it up. It does about 5 circuits of the important stuff. Total was about $600 for that setup hooked up.

Whatever you buy be sure to have wired from a technician and to add an anti backup system so the generator will power your house only and not the line downward. There have been incidents and maintenance people got hurt thinking the line they were fixing was dead. Your power company will help you out on this.