• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plow pump seal?

Ryan_V

Question

I have a meyers plow on an old truck. it's in great shape, except when you raise up the plow, it slowly, actually not so slowly anymore, creeps down. Is this an easy fix for someone not knowledgeable in such things, or something that I'll just live with, since the plow truck isn't licensed or insured because it doesn't leave my farm. I did check the fluid and it's full and doesn't leak anywhere, so I'm assuming there is a seal somewhere that is letting fluid through therefore letting the plow slowly down.

thanks!! thought i'd try and get ahead of this before the snow flies, because by then it's time to get the ice gear out!!

2 answers to this question

If there is no visible leaking, i would take out the valve assemblys and clean them.

Actually, the fluid is supposed to be changed yearly in the plows...so if it is an older unit and the fluid hasn't been changed it probably is dirty.

Your probably getting leakage back thru the valve assemblies back into the resevoir. as long as your at it, you might as well get an O ring kit for the cyclinders and the valves.

I'm not familiar with meyers, but plenty of exp with Western and Boss.

There also is a pressure release valve in the assembly that could be getting worn also releasing the pressure...this might require a new one if cleaning does not help.

You should be able to down load a manual from their web site if you dont have one to see how the valves are set up and which one to check.