• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shore fishing Muskies?

I have never really Muskie fished, but my buddies and I really want to catch a few....problem is we don't have a boat. Is there anywhere in the metro that a guy would have a chance from shore? ...and what type of presentation would one try? We were going to try to catch some big sucker minnows or chubs and throw out a big bobber on Harriet some night?...Anyone think that we might have a chance?

you should be able to shore cast the beach on lake independence. on the west side of the beach is a pier. That is as good of shore musky waters as it gets. long casts will get your lure to 10 + feet. topraiders at sunset will work

i agree with what tonkapat said.After they move the ropes in the beach area that place is awesome.We camp there all the time and in 30 minutes walking the beach i got a 38" and had another blow up.Later that day i stuck a 41" all along that shore.Ive caught all my fish on vipers but have raised alot with M and G spinnerbaits.

I had one on this afternoon shorefishing Harriet... didn't get a great look, but it was over 30" for sure. That was the only action I had, unless you count several near-misses with one-who-thinks-I-am-silly pedestrians...

You would think a guy with a ginormous rod and a 7" long bright orange and black lure with huge hooks might make people pay attention - but you'd be wrong. One woman even thought I was fishing for bluegills

I would suggest fishing calhoun off of the dock on the east side. You have to there before noon most of the time cuz it will fill up quick. But i do usually see quite a few come out of there every weekend. Just fish a sucker or a chub 15-20 feet down(that about the average of what most people have been fishing down there lately). Most of the fish have only been between 35-39 inches but every once in a while someone will pull a 40-45 incher out. Also some nice bonus pike here and there

Oh i forgot to mention... I found a dead 36" tiger downwind of the pier on Calhoun

my 3 guesses for cause of death are 1)sucker on a bobber 2) sucker on a bobber 3) sucker on a bobber

edit: i'm not saying sucker fishing is bad, i've done it a time or too. just a bummer to see such a fine fish dead

i'd been throwing topwaters and a suick, but I downsized to a spinnerbait, got it right away. Dunno if i had any follows on anything else, pretty tough to see from shore, plus the waves make it tough anyways