• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rigging new boat...a few questions for you guys.

Loon

I'm rigging a new 16' aluminum with electronics (lights/locaters/trolling motor).

I understand that you should run sonar cables away from power sources. Is it okay to run the transducer cable and the power for the locater together? Just keep the transducer cables away from the trolling motor wires?

Which battery should the lights and locaters go to respectfully? Both on the cranking battery and leave the deep cycle to the trolling motor alone?

I bought a 30 amp circuit breaker for my 40# MinnKota bow mount. Is that too big, too small, or just right?

One more: Can the white anchoring/all around light be on either side of the transom or does it have a specific location?

Thanks in advance.

"Is it okay to run the transducer cable and the power for the locater together? Just keep the transducer cables away from the trolling motor wires?" - YES, some Garmin units come with a combo cable that has the wires in one solid bundle.

"Just keep the transducer cables away from the trolling motor wires?" - CORRECT

"Which battery should the lights and locaters go to respectfully? Both on the cranking battery and leave the deep cycle to the trolling motor alone?" - AGAIN, CORRECT

"Can the white anchoring/all around light be on either side of the transom or does it have a specific location?" - I believe you are correct on this also, but you can check the free DNR boating guide.

Enjoy the new boat! What did you get? Maybe you can post us some pics.

You should be okay running the cables together, and in fact with many boats you really don't have many other good options. If you run into performance problems that are caused by interference, it usually doesn't take much seperation in the cables to clean it up --- like only an inch or so in many cases.

For your other questons, Wish-I-Were-Fishin has you covered.

The 40lb. Minnkota I had on a boat bought in '96 had a 40 amp. fuse. The 70lb one I have now has a 50 amp breaker.

You could contact Minnkota through thier web site if you don't have the manual for the motor.

Quote:
"Which battery should the lights and locaters go to respectfully? Both on the cranking battery and leave the deep cycle to the trolling motor alone?"

One thing to be careful of when using this type of setup is it is possible to drain your starting battery if you have your graph and lights on and troll for hours on end and never increase your RPMs by going wide open to another spot. You will keep draining the battery and will not be putting any charge back into the battery and as soon as you shut off your motor it will not have enough juice to start it. I know first hand and you will not like the process of swapping battery's in the dark cry