• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The ultimate lindy rig rod

JohnMickish

What would you guys consider to be the ultimate lindy rig rod for deeper water like Mille Lacs. Looking for a USA built rod with the ultimate in sensitivity since my hands don't quite have the feel they used to. I'm looking to replace my St. Croix Avid 7' MLF and am looking at rods like the

G. Loomis WRR 8400 IMX

G. Loomis HSR 9000 IMX

St. Croix TWS76MLF

I've heard lots of good things about the HSR 9000 and am leaning that way now but want to get others opinions before I head over to Thorne Bros and place my order.

Anybody have any experiance with any of these or does somebody have something really wild like a 9' salmon rod?

I have the WRR8400S Walleye Series. This is my first year with it and have been very impressed and happy with it. I have a buddy who has had his for a couple years and fishes Mille Lacs with it and really loves it too. Excellent rod.

I'm sure Limit Creek makes nice rods (I've heard good things here) but I'm not sure it meets my criteria, and I'm looking for something that can be purchased and have any warranty claims handled over the counter, locally. Again, I'm not really looking for "good" or "value", I'm going to spend some cash on "the best".

I've got a 55 gal drum of copper sitting in my garage that I've been filling over the past few years that I'm going to turn into a killer lindy setup so while I don't want to spend it foolishly, value isn't really a factor in this purchase.

From your last post I assume you are looking for a production rod, not a custom rod. I would try to get your hands on the rods you are thinking of buying and see how they fit you. Not all equipment and configuration will fit everyones needs or style. Handle and reel seat placement will play a huge part of how it fits you for a whole day of fishing.

I don't know if it will be production or built, but I'm pretty sure the blank will be from one of the two companies I have listed.

I've got a custom Loomis 721 that while it's my favorite rod I'm not so sure that the catch rate would be any different if it where an off the shelf item, other than the fact that the custom job is extended 3".

Even though the same warrenty applies no matter if it's custom or not I am also weighing whether I want to have the rod or just the blank warrantied, should I break it.

If I break a custom I still get the blank replaced but then I would either have to rebuild it myself of have someone do it for me, or do I just want to do it over the counter? I don't know. I think if I do a custom job I'll probably go all out with titanium guides for the most weight reduction.

I got both a 7'6" St croix avid and a 7'7" Shimano Compre.I have to say I like the Compre a little better.I have been really happy with the Shimano rods I have purchased in the last couple of seasons,and the over the counter warranty is very nice,even though I havent needed to use it.Oh yea,their reels are excellent too.

Brother why not just buy both. With copper prices where they are you should still have change. Really though you have a quality rod in the avid so I would go with the Hot Shot rod you will absolutely fall in love with the tip and backbone of this rod. I have both the 8400 and the 9000 they are both well suited for rigging.

Peace

Mike.

For what it's worth, IMO the Shimano Crucial 7'2" Dropshot rod is the best rigging rod I've ever fished with and I've fished the Lumis and St. Croix. Spent alot of money looking for the right "one" and found it with the Crucial.

For what it's worth, IMO the Shimano Crucial 7'2" Dropshot rod is the best rigging rod I've ever fished with and I've fished the Lumis and St. Croix. Spent alot of money looking for the right "one" and found it with the Crucial.

What was the G. Loomis model you fished with? Was it a WRR 8400 or HSR9000 and was it an IMX or just a GL2? I've fished with many Shimano rods (I own a couple) and while they are nice, I just don't think that they are anywhere near an IMX or GLX. I haven't fished with any of St. Croix's better rods, just my avid a and a buddy's premier. Seems like the people that own an IMX or GLX like them ALOT!

Sounds like your minds already made up. It shouldn't matter what other people like in their rods-- it all depends on what you are looking for. Take three of your fishing buddies in a store and ask them to pick out their "ultimate" rigging rod and chances are you walk out of that store with three completely different sticks (action/length etc...). Go get the one you really want!!

I replaced my 6'6" Avid MLF with the 7' Loomis WRR8400 IMX and could not be happier. Both rods are great rods. I feel, for rigging, the loomis is just that much better.

I'm also a fan of Shimano reels. I'm set up with a 2500 Stradic (new) and I feel that gives the correct balance.

Mnfishinguy:

From all you've written, it sounds like you have quite a bit of experience with the higher end rods, and have quite a refined taste as well as a specialized application with which to use it.

I was in a similar situation a few months ago, looking for the best rigging rod money can buy, with all the same kind of concerns you had. I settled on a custom HSR9000 in the GLX. It's a 7'6" blank, so I think the length is better, esp. for bigger and deeper water than alot of the shorter offerings.

I stopped in at Thorne Brothers and was picking the brain of Lonnie Murphy, their master rod-maker. He was able to help me sort through all the differences in grip, components, epoxy/thread, balance, etc. Basically, just by talking to him, I was able to put together everything I needed. I would highly recommend stopping in and talking to them!!! There's a reason they build more custom HSR's than anyone!!!

In the end, I went custom so I could pare down the weight by taking off excess cork, using the lightest guides I could afford, and having the rod-maker use as little thread/epoxy as possible while still firmly securing all the components.

Only the blank is warrantied! This might be a mistake, esp. for me smile At the same time, that's a risk I'm willing to take to shave off some weight, customize the grip/handle, and have the wraps I want. Sounds fickle, and it probably is, but there's nothing worse than having "almost" what you want.

So much is personal preference, and I can't say that this is the "best" setup, as I haven't used it long enough, and I won't try to make that decision for everyone. I will say, for me, it does everything a good lindy rod should do and more, esp. in deeper water.

The sensitivity is superb, so I usually feel the pickup right away. When an 'eye slams it, there's enough give in the tip of that long rod so I have enough time to drop the line and he doesn't feel me. Hooksetting is a dream with all the line that 7'6" rod picks up.

I will say, that I should've tried the new limit creek telescoping extendable spinning rod. It goes to 8'3", so you have even more length, with the comfort of being able to stow the thing away easily. This is a problem in my boat with the HSR! I've had a chance to check them out, but not fish with them. If I had to venture a guess, I think that rod would be darn near as good for a fraction of the price, and would probably work a bit better as a slip-bobbering rod for deeper water.

Joel

I just decided to go really wild and got three salmon rods (2 spinning, 1 casting)...But since I'm the shore fishing guy, I'd figure the extra length is going to be really useful. They are all MH for weights of I think 3/8 to 1 oz. For the most part I want to long snell/leader my lindy rig.

You will love the HSR 9000. Like I've mentioned in previous posts. I have never heard anything negative from anyone with an HSR 9000. Thorne Bros. ties a ton of these.

I have the HSR 9000 in an IMX. I'll probably tie up an GLX this Winter and extending the handle to make it an 8' 3" rod.

I've fished a long time and when I started I had one Ugly stick and a $20 Diawa reel from Kmart and was happy as a clam with it. Life is a little bit easier now and the wife and I can treat ourselves to some of the nicer things life has to offer, so yes, I have some experience with some nice fishing tools and I like it.

I am leaning (alot) towards the HSR rod and was just looking to see if anyone had something better out there. Lonnie helped me with my 721 and boy, there is alot more to a custom rod than what I thought! grin

You are right again, there is a reason they build so many rods and that's the reason I will be going there either to have it built or purchased. I'll make my mind up in a day or two and let you know what I did.

Thanks for the help guys!

I ended up getting the St. Croix Legend rod. After looking at them both many times I decided on the St. Croix. What made me go that way is I thought the Croix had better cork and I prefered the softer action. It's was a really hard choice and you can't really lose either way.

I'm jeolous ... congrats on the new rod! I'm sure you'll love it. If you are looking for a new reel to put on your new rod, may want to stop at Joe's. 20% off all open water rods, reels, lures.