• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

polaris atv battery problem

Dahitman44

Was gonna bring the kids for a ride but ...

My screen is dead and nothing happens when I turn the key. I can pull it and it pops a couple of times that is it. I checked the battery and it has 6.34 volts.

The battery will not take a charge either -- does not even register on the charger.

It is a 2004 400 sportsman.

Any thoughts?

New battery I would guess.

your battery has served you well if it's from an '04.

The only other thing I have to say is look nowhere else other than an Odyssey battery for your replacment. It will cost more up front, but I have read on many forums as well as had Odyssey batteries myself. When it comes to the recreational vehicles, all replacements in my machines will be Odyssey.

I have nothing bad to say about Odyssey batteries since I've never owned one. What I will say is that I have had Yuasa batteries in all of my ATVs over the years and several have lasted 5 or more years trouble free. They are a great alternative and less expensive. I wouldn't overlook them....

I'm not real framiliar with Polaris and the batteries they use..as I prefer riding over repairing them all the time grin J/K Butt its probly a sealed battery and you cannot check the fluid level. Sounds to me like the battery is history. Get a new one and you should be goof to go.

A lot of times a battery won't last longer than 4-5 years. There's a good chance that your battery is a sealed battery as was mentioned earlier and you won't be able to add water to the battery. The life expectancy can also decrease if it's not properly maintained.

As for charging, I wouldn't recommend charging the battery while it's still mounted in the ATV. Remove it to charge and see if that changes anything.

I have nothing bad to say about Odyssey batteries since I've never owned one. What I will say is that I have had Yuasa batteries in all of my ATVs over the years and several have lasted 5 or more years trouble free. They are a great alternative and less expensive. I wouldn't overlook them....

I believe that my original 2000 Honda OEM battery is a Yuasa....still going strong on 9 years of heavy use...

Where do I get a new one when the time comes?? Dealership?

I believe that my original 2000 Honda OEM battery is a Yuasa....still going strong on 9 years of heavy use...

Where do I get a new one when the time comes?? Dealership?

Chuck, if you cannot find a dealer that handles them locally, let me know I can help you with that from down here!

I still have the original in mine too, going on 6 years.

10-4 Mac!

I'd hate to buy a new one and wait for mine to croak...could be years. grin I really should replace it. Every winter I expect it to go with all the plow/winch activity and extreme cold temps, but it keeps going. 3000 miles/750 hours of use... crazy

Polaris had a bad batch of batteries in 04, somewhere in that time frame they switched to the gel type batteries, if they warrantied the first one, you might have gotten the same poor replacement. I've never had good luck with the cheap Fleet Farm batteries either. This spring mine died, (2006 800) and I replaced it with an interstate ($100). I've heard good things about the oddessey batteries but I'm not spending over $200 for an atv battery. The Yuasa batteries that Honda used seemed to last forever. We had a 1990 fourtrax 300 that still had the original battery when it left the farm in 04.