Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rebel9921

Marine Plywood & Floatation Foam

16 posts in this topic

I am ready to install new stringers, crossbrace, and new transom in my 1988 Bass Tracker...

I need to know where I can purchase Marine Plywood (Top grade kind) along with floatation foam to mix and pour into the spaces... I also would need the marine plywood for new flooring...

If preferred, the info can be emailed to Rebel9921@hotmail.com

Many thanks!

We got marine plywood at Hallberg Marine about 5 years ago. $80 per sheet then. Lumber yards didn't have Marine when I was calling around, that was only place I could find it.

Not sure about foam. Good luck,

Come on 97 views and nobody has any ideas???

Thanks Box... I'll start calling around then...

I ordered my Marine plywood from Menards.

Youngblood lumber in Minneapolis has some marine plywood in stock. Don't know about the foam.

Marine ply aint too hard to get.I in the last week tried different foams,the foil backed does'nt melt in gas contact and Greatstuff spray caned foam does'nt they do absorb gas but dont melt. I tried most rigid sheet foams and a few caned sprays those worked best.I was lucky got both on sale 6 sheets 4x8x1/2 foil backed rigid foam and 30 cans greatstuff for a 16.5 ft. boat with a 72 inch beam.

I believe menards will order it up for ya as mentioned above

my friend just redid his 1982 lund. The floor was getting a little soft. Lund used what appeared to be regular exterior plywood. So it depends on how long it needs to last.

Marine plywood for the floor might be overkill.

I noticed Lund says they have a lifetime warranty on plywood. Check it out on their HSOforum.

They make foam specifically for the purpose of floatation that is closed cell and fuel resistant. Even if some seem ok, they may slowly absorb liquid or react to fuel over time.

Here is an informational link I hope is acceptable.

Link

I would try either a boat, hovercraft, aircraft or even a hobby supply place if there aren’t any sponsors that can provide the foam you need.

Don't get too hung up on "Marine Plywood". Its just a grade where the interior plies are plugged so that it does not have voids. If you are not using it for an impact bearing hull sheathing application, then just use BC grade with an exterior rating. There is no difference in the glue used in the marine grade.

You will save a LOT of money and have just as good of a product. If you are looking for flooring impervious to weather, do a search on recycled plastic marine flooring and see what comes up. There are products out there much better than plywood.

The marine plywood I saw looked much different than conventional or treated plywood.
Your right Marine ply has no voids in plys,more plys probably 7 for 3/4 you can get it up to I believe 11 plys,where standard ply will have 5 plys maybe 6 for top grade.

For the foam look for the company USComposites, they're online. They have the weight of urethane foam that you'll want for floatation use (2lb-4lb). You can also use the 8lb stuff for making very light weight rod grips (finish by covering with kevlar fibre).