Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phred52

Papa Murphys on the grill

10 posts in this topic

First off, I will admit I AM a 'charcoal purist', don't own a gas grill and never plan on doing so. I broke down this evening and bought a "grill ready prepared pizza". 6 minutes on a grill that was 15* above the mininum "recommended temp" for a charcoal grill,the pan was BURNED. I slid the pizza off of the store supplied pan onto a foil pan. It didn't help... the crust was BLACK. Called the store,'lowered a little heaven' until they agreed to replace the pizza. I have made no less than 50 pizzas on the grill using the Jeno's pizza mixes with a wide variety of toppngs. NOT ONCE have I had a pizza come off looking like this Papa Murphys did! So you know, DON'T WASTE your money on a T.V. ad,pizza, Be creative, try NEW toppings, Have FUN!! Build your own, You WON'T be sorry!! It takes 15 to 17 minutes and the crust is GOLDEN BROWN...not BLACK. Phred52

They must put suger in their dough for it to burn like that.

I'm with you on that "charcoal purist" thing. I got one of those dull zone Brinkmen charcoal jobber. Its got so you can lower the charcoal grate. Awsome grill!

Havent takeld the pizza yet this weakend I will.

Any advice on method?

623f6422.jpg

I've done some of the pre-made pizzas in my cooker. I only burn lump charcoal. When I am in doubt as to the crust, I use a pizza screen.

croixflats, It wasn't only the crust that burned, It was the "grill safe" pan they assemble it on!! The thing turned absolutely black! When I make the Jeno's mixes, I just put the pizza on an foil pizza pan that has been sprayed with cooking oil. When the crust pulls away from the sides about 1/4" I'll lift it to check for golden brown. Usually 15 to 17 minutes is about right. I must say, the pizza in thirdeyes' post looks pretty tasty!! Is that on a pizza stone as well as the screen? Phred52

And re the screen, what does that do for the crust? Where do I get one? That pie looked really good, but it didn't appear to have any anchovies. grin

The screen keeps the dough a fraction of an inch off the stone and reduces burning. They also make them really easy to get on and off the cooker. If you are doing more than one, you can build them ahead of time, put them on the screen and stack in the fridge (wax paper in between)

You can get nice ones at any kitchen supply store, these are "disposable" ones from WallyWorld, a 3-pack is a couple of dollars, and they last for many uses, not just one. Also good for grilling fish or veggies.

Thanks. The fish and veggies were on my mind as well. I have yet to grill a pizza, so that is definately on the to-do list.

thirdeye, Thanks re the stone. Now curious as to what kind of 'machine' you have? I just use a Weber with the rack set 6" above the coals, and then the foil pan, No stone, no screen. Although the foil pans I use have an embossed pattern on the bottom that could sub as a screen. I also have premade and refridged 3 pizzas to be made on the grille at a company ice-fishing contest last winter. Lotsa people were impressed with the results and have since tried it themselves. In the near future, I will be trying some Chicago style and cheesey crusts on the grille, Can taste it already, grilled and toasted cheese and tomato sauce! prov1900, post your results, okay? Since I started grilling pizzas at home, I have a hard time talking the family into a frozen or franchise pizza. Phred52

Sounds like you were too hot, anything will burn if you get it hot enough.

Blackjack, Not according to my grill thermometer. As per the instructions that come with the pizza, the temp window is 425*-450*. My grill was at 442* (17* above their MININUM temp and 8* below max.) the coals were 6.5" beneath the pizza (they say at least 6"). They also suggest 50-75 briquettes, I had about 60. I was well within their suggested guidelines, and the pan/pizza was only on for 6 minutes. Their instructions say 12-18 minutes. Had it been on that long, I would've had a glowing frisbee!! When I got the replacement pizza, about 12 minutes later, I put that on a foil pan, onto the same grill and it was done to perfection in 16 minutes. Phred52