• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Explorer vs Trailblazer

I'd take another look at the Acadia/Traverse, as its basically what's replacing the trailblazer. I believe you said it looked smaller than the TB, but in actually its bigger. It gets better mileage and should be able to handle a boat that size. I believe its going to have around 280 ponies with the 6 speed and should get around 25mpg on the hwy.

My Dad has owned both Explorers and Trailblazers and have liked the TB's better. He currently has an 05 Explorer and can't wait to get rid of it. Maybe the newer Explorer's are better. I had a 98 explorer with the 5.0 and the 4speed and hated it, as it was slow, bouncey those trannies were not a good design.

I personally have a Durango with the Hemi and we both think its head and shoulders above the Explorer. It's a hair bigger, but not as big as a Tahoe or Expedition. We like the interior, especially with the nav system.

FYI ~ I believe for 09 the Escape is getting the newer 6speed tranny and they are upgading the 4banger and v6 engines for more hp and better mileage.

Good luck with whatever you choose! Nothing wrong with buying a Chevy or Ford truck!

CJH

Thanks CJH! That's just the type of info I'm looking for.

I appreciate the response and will keep the Traverse/Acadia in mind. I didn't see a lot of info on these two vehicles yet, but will keep an eye out. Obviously when looking at some vehicles on the computer it can be difficult to tell just what size they are. smirk At least for me anyway. smirk

Yes, the Acadias have been out for a year and a half or so, and are the GMC version. (there is also a Saturn and Buick version) The Traverse, which is the Chevy version, is coming out this year (either right now or in a month or two) and should be a few grand less.

I looked online for specs and the TB are 191 x 74, while the Acadias are 200 x 78. I am sure the Traverse is the same since they are just rebadged versions of the same vehicle. So its a little bigger than the TB.

I would double check the towing to see if what the new boat would weigh, but as long as they don't go too big, I would think it should be able to handle it.

Not trying to push you into this vehicle, just clearing up the facts. I believe you can look at them on GM's HSOforum along with any of the normal car websites.

Good Luck!

CJH

I just looked at the Acadias not long ago and it does appear to have decent size to it. I think a plus is that the fuel economy is 16/22 for the AWD model. My folks will like that I think. As for a boat, I don't see my folks ever going bigger than a 17.5' boat. Glass and aluminum boats weigh nearly the same now days, so that part doesn't really matter. More than likely, they would get a 17' boat with a 90/115hp motor. And with a rig like that, the Acadia/Traverse should be able to handle it without much trouble.

Great info again! Thank you!

Yes, I would look at the Acadia a little more.

Here are the specs:

288hp

GWVR-6411 with a tow capacity of 4500

Torque 3500 ft lbs

Height 69.9

Length 200.7

Width 78.2

It is pricey though for an AWD with a retail at approx 35k

Yes, I would look at the Acadia a little more.

Here are the specs:

288hp

GWVR-6411 with a tow capacity of 4500

Torque 3500 ft lbs

Height 69.9

Length 200.7

Width 78.2

It is pricey though for an AWD with a retail at approx 35k

I bet it has 350 ft/lbs

which is a good number for towing and keeping the R's down

Good facts on the Acadia, the Traverse is set to launch later this fall. Comparing the Acadia to even the new expedition, they both have a wheelbase of 119, and have a similar front and and rear track at 67. Also the Cargo volume for the acadia is about the same as a Tahoe. I prefer the third seat in the acadia over the Tahoe/Sub, there is a flat floor in the Acadia. A FWD SLE (cloth) will list for around 32... AWD is about a 900 dollar option and from there it goes up i.e DVD, leather, moonroofs, power doors. Also for the most part the FWD's are getting anywhere up to 26 on the highway and the AWD is about 2 miles per gallon less.

The 08 Explorer has plenty of power and is a nice smooth ride, with plenty of tow capacity. Just to throw some specs out there- hp292, torque 300, towing capacity 7310 ,20 inch wheels, these new ones ride like no other Explorer or any SUV that I have ridden in! They are wider for better handling. Its not fair to compare to Explorers of years past, to a new Acadia! I havent ridden in the Acadias, but I sure dont have anything negative to say about the new Explorers! I recommend driving one before they make their decision!

Thanks for the added info guys.

My folks have test driven 3 or 4 vehicles so far. All of which have been Fords since we have the dealer right here in town....actually only 1/2mi from my folks' house. smile They've driven the Explorer already. In fact that's the first one they test drove. I think though if they want to try any GM vehicles, they should do another test drive of the Explorer close to the same time they test drive any GM vehicle. Otherwise the feel of the Explorer might be lost over time and wouldn't be fresh in their minds.

I am a GM guy. I have an 05 Trailblazer. It tows worse than the fullsize, and gets the same gas mileage, and these days is almost the same price. In my humble opinion, it is a bad idea to get a trailblazer - I wouldn't do it again.

If you are going GM, go fullsize or go Acadia/Traverse/Outlook/Enclave.