• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

prop talk

Gordie

how much differnce is between a 12p and a 14p ? my boat take forever to get on plane and I think its because of the 14pitch prop that I put on it used to be 12. the 14 was a really great price but I think I'm sacrificing power and speed.

If it was good with the 12, then I'd go back to it. Thats exactly what happens when you go up in pitch. The other thing you are doing is not allowing the engine to run at or near max rpm. You are "lugging" the engine down.

Are you trimming the motor once you are on plane?? You want to be able to approach your maximum rpm's otherwise you are overpitched. If you are struggling to get on plane and not able to get the r's toward the max, you are working the motor too hard.

Some info from my own prop testing. Lund WC-16 25hp Yamaha 2-Stroke, 800lbs load. RPM was read using a Sendec Tach and MPH was from GPS.

9 7/8" X 11 1/4 3 Blade 5480rpm Max 25mph (Stock Yamaha)

9.9" X 9" Solas Amita 3 6350rpm Max 18mph

10 X 10 Solas New Saturn 4Bl S.S. 5240rpm Max 20mph

9.9 X 10 Solas Amita 3 6040rpm Max 25mph

Needless to say the 9.9X10 Solas Amita3 is the prop I'm running now. Holeshot is much better than with the stock 9.875X11.25 Yamaha prop and the rpm is just a tad higher than the 6k rpm max rpm range.

I would recommend making small changes in pitch. If your boat came with a 12pitch prop than that is close to the optimal pitch and diameter for your boat. I recommend Solas props, the quality exceeds the Yamaha prop, which surprised me.

my boat is a 18ft flatbottom and it came with a jetdrive yamaha and some one stole it now I'm playing with a merc ob and Ithink that the 12 so far is the optimum prop but I'll keep playing around till I find witch one is best and I think I'll call the boat manufacturer to find out what they suggest. thanks for all the input guys.

No they left the boat but stole the motor. the jerk-baits cut the motor off the transome with a cordless sawzall. they cut transome around the motor. so I had Alot of work in rebuilding my transome