Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZapBranigan

4 day work week anyone doing it?

44 posts in this topic

Our company a Cabinet Mfg here in MN with plants in 5 different locations around the country are looking at going to a 4 day workweek. Partly due to the slow down in the building (housing) industry but under the guise of saving us (the empolyee) a day of commuting. The plan is a simple 4 days 10hr per day. Our plants would be shut down on the off day saving the company a great deal of dough. It where I work that it gets a bit more dicey. The Corporate office which would have to remain open for 5 days. But they still want to offer us the same as the plant personnal so they are devising these coverage shifts based on the 4 day week.

Is anyone out there currently doing this. What am I heading into for me that I'm not maybe seeing? I fit this into these threads even though it may not be an Outdoor discussion per say but it will effect my hours to use for outdoors significantly.

So I see it as a positive. A trade off shorter family/outdoor time per day but a larger lump time to fit in family/outdoor time. Since there is a even number of employees in our dept (IS) we have sort of already worked up a rotating Mon/Fri coverage schedule which allows us a 2 day weekend followed by a 4 day weekend alternating every other weekend.

Please let me know if your already doing this and is there anything that I should be aware of that was a real surprise good or bad to you.

I wish I could do that. It would be nice to have three day weekends. I have friends that do this and love it.

I have friends that work in the cities and their offices have gone to this also. It seems to be working out great for them, they still get their 40hrs/week, but have 3 full days on the weekend.

I havn't really heard anything negative from them, all positive.

Good Luck

I used to work 4 10's. We only did it seasonally though. The first few days seemed long but it was easy to adjust. The 3 day weekends were nice. To make it a four day weekend I only had to use 10 hours as opposed to 16. If you can handle it and your bosses go for it try to start at 6 and work until 4:30. You'll still have family time after work. Working 8 to 6:30 would stink IMO.

i have 3 companies where the employees are asking to go to a 4-day work week and the employers want nothing to do with it.

Worked 4-10's for 15 years.

Now I work 5-8's.

I like the 5-8's.

Felt tired and beat up working 4-10's.

The last two hours of the 10 hr. day are long ones.

I used to work 3-12s (paid for 40). The first 9 were easy, the last 3 were heck. The 5 day weekend made up for it though.

I'd probably burn MORE gas with a three day weekend grin

four tens all the way. heck I would work three thirteens the faster to forty the better IMO

ive worked 10s and 12 love it, Now I work 5 8 and wonder how the hepp people do it. I rarely have time to fish and my weekends go way too fast.

If I can Ill take the 12s any day. After a while you get used to it and then 8 hours seem to be like a day off.

Back when I ran my own buisness My favorite schedual was 4 10's. 4 12's got tuff. Tuesday, Wed, Thurs, Fri. When we workded 5 days a week it was tuesday - Sat. Sunday for your family and Monday for fishing and hunting. It was great, No one on the water on Mondays.

It was the 4 15's and an 8 that was the hardest weeks. Situation and idustry have both changed. Regular hours for me now. smirk

I've worked 4-10's (Mon-Thurs) for over 20 years and LOVE IT. Others in our company have worked the alternating 3-day/4-day shift and they liked it as well.

Worked 0600 to 1600 M-Th for several months, and loved it. unfortunately tomorrow is my last Friday off, as part of my recent promotion to Lead I'll have to be in the office for the full work week so that I can be there for my team.

it was nice to have 20% less mileage, another 2-3 hours of my week not allocated to drivetime.

I'll miss it...

Man, if we all went to a 4/10 day work weak and alternated our friday and mondays off we would save a lot of money on fuel and traffic congestion.

Four 10s vs five 8s depends a lot on a person's lifestyle and family arrangements.

If Mom and Dad have kids, and Mom and Dad share duties with the kids, adding two hours a day for four days to one or the other's schedule can put a crimp in things.

That being said, the extra weekend day is a MIGHTY GOOD THING! gringrin

However, I know a company that switched a lot of their folks to four 10s that were not consecutive 10s. That isn't much of an improvement.

We have a few people in our dept that do the 4-10s things for the summer. It works out well for them, but not so great for the rest of us. We are a IT support dept and most of our end users work Mon-Fri, so being short on Mon and Fri puts more work on the rest of us on those days.

At the company I work at we have the 9-80 plan. Monday through Thursday we work 9 hours a day, then one Friday we work 8 and have the opposite Friday off. It works out great. I just plan trips up north for the weekend that I have an extra day off, and it is awesome. That along with taking the bus to and from work makes it a pretty cool place to work. I rarely have to use vacation time unless I am taking a week off or something along those lines cause I have enough time off.

I am on 4-10's now and love it. I am in a support type roll at a large medical device company so our phones need to be staffed properly. Only so many people working 4-10's can have Mon or Fri off. I was not senior enough to get Mon or Fri off so I have Thursdays off. To add to that we all have full home offices (IP phones, full network connection) and are allowed to telecommute one day a week. I will eventually get Friday or Monday off once new hires are fully trained.

My schedule at this point is:

Mon - Telecommute (7-6Pm)

Tues - In office (7-5pm - Lunch at 5pm)

Wed - In office (7-5pm - Lunch at 5pm)

Thur - Off

Friday - In office (7-5pm - Lunch at 5pm)

thats the consequenses you get when you step into the big bucks world! laughlaughgrinwhistle

four day work weeks rule, especially when they are four 8 hour shifts, and the company says its cool...

ie.

monday thru thursday 11-8.

same salary.

plus commission.

(but sometimes since its commission based work, i just can't miss a friday.)

...really cant beat that option though...

Thanks guys for the responses seems there are tons of variations it looks as though the company (at least to start with) is going to allow Depts to set their own rules. My Boss is pretty liberal about it so sounds like it will work good. The important part is make sure we have coverage always so anything we do has to first pass the acid test that there be enough support in place on any given day.

Man, if we all went to a 4/10 day work weak and alternated our friday and mondays off we would save a lot of money on fuel and traffic congestion.

The numbers on something like this are staggering.

The math:

133,000,000 workers X 80% who drive alone = 106,400,000 single driver commuter cars each day.

106,400,000 X 32 miles round trip = 3,404,800,000 miles driven to work each day

3,404,800,000 / 21 mpg (average fuel efficiency) = 162,133,333 gallons of gasoline each day

Each barrel of crude oil produces, on average, 19.5 gallons of gas. (It is important to note that other products like kerosene and asphalt are produced from that same barrel.)

162,133,333 / 19.5 = 8,314,530 barrels of oil each day.

Numbers were taken from theoildrum dot com.

Also an interesting read because they go on to make 16 reasons to do this and this is only one of them.

Others include reduction in greenhouse gas emmissions, Less overall traffic congestion during peak periods, reduce money spent on road wear and tear, fewer auto accidents, reduction in absenteeism, and the like.

I work 3 10's and get paid for 40 hours, The only thing that sux about it is the fact that my weekend starts on monday and ends on thursday. Like anything though it has its good points and it's bad points.

Quote:
I work 3 10's and get paid for 40 hours,...

No, you're getting paid for working 30 aren't you? Now, you're making the big bucks! smile

Bob