• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rod/reel combo question

goblueM

So I'm just getting into musky fishing. I got a 7'2 XH Compre with a C4 6600. I wasn't planning on getting another combo, but yesterday a rod fell in my lap. Found a Fig Rig Tooth Tamer in the Bargain Cave at Cabelas for 70 bucks - only thing wrong was the ceramic insert had popped out of the tip top. Took 4 bucks and 2 minutes to remedy that. Had a return and some Cabela's points so the rod cost me 15 bucks.

So now my question is... this new Tooth Tamer is a H action, 7'. I'm thinking of putting the 6600 on that and getting something more durable with more cranking power on my XH Compre so I can throw bigger baits. My budget is around $100, but I might be able to rationalize up to $150. What do you think the best choice would be? Also, any opinions on the Tooth Tamers? They good rods?

Thanks for the input!

We just went through this whole question. Not about the rod, but the reel to put on it. I think the concesus was a 7000iC3. The bottom line is get a C3 vs. C4 when throwing big baits. I just got a Shimano 8' Crucial Heavy and I have a new C3 on the way.

thats funny, my buddy has had 3 cardiffs break in the last 2 years.

I ended up getting a Abu 7000i HSN, by the way. 30% off at Thorne, I think I got what I was looking for

Now, now, the cardiff is not bullet proof and I've seen pictures of broken cardiff's I've never thought would've been possible - said claimed by someone that it happend on a cast. Personally I find it hard to believe from the looks I'd assumed dropped or stepped on but I wasn't there when it happened - bottomline is it does break or fail.

Any of the Abu's round baitcasting reels are very good value for the money, better price point than a Cardiff - as no different they can break or fail as well as attested by many owners.

But when you fish with the Cardiff vs the C3 or C4 in similar sizes. There's gonna be some slight differences and that depends on how one likes their set up. The Abu's will pull in more line per crank. The 400A is pretty slow at on 22" per crank. You also get ARB's in the Cardiff compared to standard stainless steel bearings in the C3/C4's. The Cardiff will crank line up more authoritatively under a load. Do the instore test, and thumb down on the spool to simulate load pressure. The Cardiff takes less effort on the cranking to turn the spool. That changes the way one fights/play fish. Cardiff 400A is not comparable to match against any Abu 7000 series.

I thought that the HSN - high speed wasn't desired to crank big blades? At two bearings only, wouldn't that make it even more difficult?

Thorne Bros still has their discount stuff for sale, some 7000's in there for 30% off!

I've got Shimano Calcutta 300 and 400 TE's, with 4:1 gear ratio. On the right rod, big baits/blades are no problem with these. This is after going through 3 Abu's of one style or another and a 400B last year.

I'm thinking about a Saltist right now though, it'd be nice to really be able to rip big blades through the water!

Put some time into the rod for sure, it can make as much or more difference in how hard you work while fishing...

-JR

I have a 7 foot Fig Rig with a Curado 300 DSV and use it primarily for jerkbaits and WTD's and absolutely love it. I have 2 7000's which are great for the big stuff but I have little mitts so if I add another reel it would be another Curado - the beauty is that it truly is just a HEAVY bass rig.

I have Cardiffs and the old Corsair, and a Curado. Latley I have been pulling DCG's with the Corsair and Curado and liking them. The Corsair most times you cant feel the bait, the Curado has some pull but nothing to worry about. The Corsairs on a Thorne Bros Custom rod and the Curados on a G Loomis both in 8'. BTW I'm 41, 5'10 and 140# on a good day and can cast DCG's daylight till dark on any of the 3 I mentioned.