• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pickled beets

Heres a basic canning recipe I found

4-1/2 to 5 pounds small fresh beets

3 cups sugar

2 cups water

2 cups white vinegar

1 small onion, sliced

1/2 teaspoon canning salt

4-1/2 teaspoons mixed pickling spices

Directions:

Remove and discard greens and all but 1/2 in. of the stems from the beets. Cook beets in boiling water for 35 minutes or until tender; drain. Peel and slice.

In a Dutch oven, combine the sugar, water, vinegar, onion and salt. Place pickling spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to pan. Bring to a boil. Add beets. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Discard spice bag. With a slotted spoon, pack beets into pint jars to within 1/2 in. of top. Ladle vinegar mixture over beets, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Adjust caps. Process for 30 minutes in a boiling-water bath. Remove jars to a wire rack to cool completely.

I never canned beets but make a mean pickled egg that has beets in it and the beets are delish, especially if I use fresh ones out of my dads garden, boiled semi-soft first.

Heres that recipe

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...ggs#Post1322879

This would be one to try not canned, just in a container in the fridge for a few days...

There are a ton of recipes out there if ya do some searches. Some sweet, some salty and some easy, some complicated...

You pressure canning or water bath?