Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Catmendo

Sandhill's...

12 posts in this topic

What an amazing bird, Then again, I guess that applies to most doesn't it!

The Sandhill is always an interesting bird to sit and observe. Their method and supurb ability to forage in grubs and insects is as good as it gets. That extra long, extra strong and powerful bill is idel for uprooting all sorts of yummy little critters.

321_2186-1.jpg

321_2181-1.jpg

Sandhill's are as graceful in flight as the next guy too!

sand7-2-1.png

Thanks Steve. I was extremely lucky on the capture. They flew right past me on route to a neighboring field!

Luck is one of the tricks in every nature photographer's bag. And as buzzsaw likes to quote: Chance favors the prepared mind. gringringrin

Man, sandhill cranes coming out of the woodwork! Hope Stu doesn't mind a little piling on! gringringrin

If you have ever been to the Platte river in March-April, the Sandhill Crane migration is spectacular to see.

To think I drove a total of 900 miles last fall to get close enough to sandhill cranes for a decent photo, just to strike out, and some people get them in their front yard. mad

Not a great picture, but I thought I would share anyway.

I always see 50-100 sandhills any time I visit this place.

sandhill.jpg

I've stumbled into a few around the Faribault area. They are loving all the wheat harvesting that has been going on.

Gorgeous birds and quite a racket in the morning!