• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cabbage recipe???

Anybody have a good recipe for cooked cabbage??? Or cabbage salad/slaw?? I have 6 of them that are looking for a good use.

I like to do a good cabbage hot dish, brown some burger and onions, put in a roaster with some tomato soup and kidney beans and lots of sliced cabbage and bake for an hour but looking for something different.

We have a Polish dish called "Halushki" that is a favorite with cabbage...

Take one pound of sliced bacon cut up into one inch or so pieces and in a pot/pan big enough for a whole head of cabbage sliced up, brown off the bacon. Remove the bacon but leave some of the liquid. Now add one head cabbage sliced up like you would for slaw(dosent have to be sliced real small) and one onion sliced up. Add a little water(enough to steam) and cover on med/low. Salt a pepper along the way. Let it cook for probably around 20 minutes, stirring often. Mean while cook off a pound of egg noodles. After the cabbage starts to wilt and soften leave the lid off to let the water cook away. The cabbage will start to brown up just a tad, add the bacon back in and about a half stick of butter. Then toss in the cooked and drained noodles. Re-season with salt and pepper :hint-(salt, pepper, and butter make the world go around) grin

This dish is a simple family favorite that makes a great meal with a ring of kielbasi...

Pronounced "ha-loush-ki" - combine the O and U

81 - Its one of those old school ethnic dishes. You see variations of it at local festivals...

One of those "cheap an/or poor" dishes. My dad has a very old polish cookbook and its funny to read through as it was clearly writen when time were tough. Cabbage soup was cabbage, salt, pepper, and water. The more water you added the more soup you had!

Halushki is similar in the fact that - if times were good you had bacon. The noodles were cheap and you could stretch the dish with more noodles...

I make Kim Chee. It is easy to make if you like pickled cabbage type foods. You buy a seasoning packet and follow the directions. You should be able to find it at any Asian Food store.

Sounds good Dark Cloud!!! But my high cholesterol is saying no to the bacon!!! But the noodle and cabbage and onion combo with butter over it sounds good, I may try it, maybe with some ham instead of bacon.

Thanks!!