• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Making my own bucktails - DCG

I'm looking to start making my own bucktails and was wondering if anyone could help me get started with a place to order supplies?

I know for the DCG I need

#10 blades

.41 wire shaft length ?

Flashabou length?

beads type?

#7 hooks

clevises size 10?

any help and tips are greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Trevor

Stamina should have all you need, Moore's tackle as well(not the catfish place in MN but the WI musky one).

Sorry, I'm out of the loop and don't currently own a DCG....I'm guessing .051 wire will serve you better - length, a 12" shaft should suffice. The magnum flashabou only comes in one length - believe the DCG use 2 skirts, and if you look at one they don't split the material in half...the portion towards the blade is shorter than the portion towards the tail end. Beads - I don't know if they use hollow or solid beads, size isn't all that important but weight spacing on the bucktail can be - might want to ask or check if with the hollow or solid beads if they also have an egg sinker or other weight between the blades and rear hook. Hooks, mustad for sure makes the #7 treble. Clevis, a number 6 from most places will work with .041 or .051 wire. You also need some brass skirt bodies or coil for tying or wrapping that flashabou. Hope this helps, if I had a DCG to look at I'd be more helpful! More and better advice will come without a doubt.

One more thing, Rollie&Helen's should have all you need as well.

Stamina or Thorne Brothers has the stuff. I like Mason .041 single strand wire as I can bend it better than the heavier guage wire.

Blades - #10

Clevis - #6

For the DC they tie flashabou on to the remains of a Muskie Bucktail Coil (i.e. the part left over when you cut it off). I like to use brass skirt bodies (the ones that are heavy like a lure body) so that I don't need a to add an egg sinker.

I use enough magnum lure bodies and brass beads (hollow) so that the blades don't interfere with the lead trebble hook.

Lead trebble is attached with two split rings.

You will need two packs of Flashabou for one DC. I use about 2/3 of each Flashabou package per DC. The other third can be used to make a smaller bucktail (more along the size of a Mepps Muskie Bucktail). I like either a single larger blade or a double blade #7.

Assembly.

1)Tie the flashabou onto whatever you want. Add cement to the thread and dry.

2)Create eye on wire, attach split ring, add treble, cover with a piece of shrink tubing, heat shrink tubing.

3)Slip on an egg sinker and your first flashabou pack. If your first flashabou pack was tied on a lure body then you don't need the sinker.

4)add a bead or two if you want then put on the second flashabou pack.

5)add a bead

6)place hook on a split ring then thread the other split ring onto the first. Slip the package over the wire.

7) add lure bodies and beads to get some length (need blades to clear hooks

8) Add clevis, first blade, 2nd clevis, last leg of 1st clevis, last leg of 2nd clevis.

9) Add a bead.

10) Wrap an eye onto the end of the wire.

Most Bucktails / spinnerbaits on the Market use .051 for the shaft how ever the "RAD DAWGS" by Mike Ruff are made with .062

I belive Pearsons "Grinder" is .062 as-well.

Moore's Lurs out of WoodRuff WI is a good place to get lots of the components...Dick is Great guy to [PoorWordUsage] with and real nice guy to do Business with.

I also get some of my components at Cabela's and or Stamina.

Trevor, send me a Bucktail or two to me after you get a few done!

I'll be more than Happy to field test them for you!

Best of Luck!

Brian K

TIP - For the coil you are tying the bucktail/marabou/flashabou to you can go to the hardware store and by a throttle cable for a lawnmower or snowblower. Take the cable out of the tubing and use the tubing for the coils. This way you can make them as long or short as you like and it is a heck of a lot cheaper then buying the Musky sized coils and clipping off the lead weights.

Enjoy.

RU

Thanks for the help! I checked out stamina and rollies for the parts and will check the others later today.

Is Flashabou really $6 each or can I find it cheaper somewhere? I found a site that sells saltwater flashabou 10inch for 3.75 so I might try that if i'm putting two on each one?

Flashabou is $6 ($4.5 at TB IIRC), yep not cheap. Take a look at Saltwater flashabou before you order a bunch. The cut is wider and I believe there is less in the pack than regular Flashabou. It may not be what you're looking for.