• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bullheads....ugh

Ryan Becklund

I have another question re: bullheads - Are they legal to use? The regulations do not specifically forbid the use of them but the regs DO say that it is illegal to use whole or parts of game fish as bait (Which probably explains why nobody here talks about using sunfish).

Where I am confused is that bull heads are protected by a possession limit of 100... Does protection qualify bull heads as a game fish, or are they still considered a 'rough' or 'nuisance' fish, even though they are protected? And as such OK to use for bait as long as you do not exceed your possession limit?

Bullheads are considerd bait until they reach 7 inches, then they are fish and cant use them for bait. So under 7 inches follow the bait guidlines, over follow the fish guidelines!

Here are the regs:

Minnows– Members of the minnow family, except carp and goldfish;

bullheads, ciscoes, lake whitefish, goldeyes, and mooneyes (not over

seven inches long); suckers (not over 12 inches long); mud minnows,

leeches, tadpole madtoms and stonecats. (Note: border water regulations

may vary.)

A DNR permit* is required to possess more than 24 dozen minnows

Here are the regs:

Minnows– Members of the minnow family, except carp and goldfish;

bullheads, ciscoes, lake whitefish, goldeyes, and mooneyes (not over

seven inches long); suckers (not over 12 inches long); mud minnows,

leeches, tadpole madtoms and stonecats. (Note: border water regulations

may vary.)

A DNR permit* is required to possess more than 24 dozen minnows

Thanks for responding, I was looking at pages 8 (Where it specifies not to use carp, gamefish or goldfish). For anybody else following this, DTRO is quoting page 3, the definition of "Minnows" (which I obviously missed) whistle

According to page 4 the DNR is considering allowing larger sized bullheads to be used in certain parts of the state.

Thanks for explaining this stuff, DTRO! Maybe in some other thread there is an explanation for how noodling is illegal in this state (I don't see it expressly forbidden unless it falls under the umbrella of 'snagging')

Maybe in some other thread there is an explanation for how noodling is illegal in this state (I don't see it expressly forbidden unless it falls under the umbrella of 'snagging')

Noodling is legal in 4 states in the Nation for a good reason.

It would not be hard to guess which 4 those are if you have ever seen the people in the videos.

Though interesting to watch..... Devastating to the Flathead population