Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jvjohnson

goose and duck loads

15 posts in this topic

i just bought an SX3 and and in the past i have never really cared about what i shot but now that i spent the money on a nice gun i was just looking for some input on what u guys use for duck and geese.

thanks!!

If your talking brands......

Answer is, it depends. There are many brands, configurations, material types out there. Some work well out of particular guns, some not so well.

About the best thing you can do is set up a target and pattern different shells and find what works in your gun.

For instance, many claim that Winchester Xperts are great shells. I can't get them to pattern out of my guns. I've had good luck with Kent and Federal, but there are those out there that don't.

Play around and see what works good for you.

I cant get Winchester Experts to pattern to save my life. I have a buddy who claims the the same. He really likes Kent Fasteel. They jam in my 3" chamber 870. I like estates. The estates are reasonably priced. 3" #2's for puddle ducks. 3" BB's for goose and diver hunting (Golden Eyes are tough to take down). Of course, if you really want good ammo you should look into Heavy Shot, Tungsten, and other stuff I cant justify the expence right now.

I thing the guy who posted above me have stated it very well.

The very best thing you can do is to pattern your gun.

It will help you with shot selection as well.

Sifty

thanks for the input i have been looking into the Heavy shot but from what i have read about it guys seem to be shooting 3" 2's for geese and 3" 4's for ducks. is heavy shot that much better than steel that you can shoot 2's insted BB??

with heavy shot you can use smaller bb's because the will weight more than regular steel shot. so they will have more kenitic energy. me personaly i like kent's, federal premiums, winchester experts and federal black cloud.

One thing we should have asked is if you shot over decoy's or pass shooting? This has a effect on the shot size I use.

Decoying Geese and Ducks I will move down to a smaller shot size like a 3 or 4 in a 3". If we are pass shooting I move up to a 3" in the bigger loads like a 2 or BB.

I have'nt had that great of luck with the Heavy 3 1/2" loads but that just maybe my gun.

Sifty

I should have added that somtimes I'm guilty of just throwing sheels in my pockets and going. grin

Sifty

If you want to spend the money, Rem Wingmaster HD and Kent Matrix are killer loads. You still have to be able to hit them, but they rarely wiggle when you do. Maybe it's just me, but I seem to do more clean up shots with steel. Probably not alot, but I notice it.

The price keeps one from just throwing shells up too.

Almost all my hunting is done over decoys and the key no matter what you shoot is to let them get in tight. If your taking alot of marginal shots or "skybusting", it isn't going to matter what your throwing up there.

found out last year that the light load 3.5" 3's put a hurt on ducks and geese I use the 1.25oz load not the 1+3/8 Iam sure it would work but IMO speed kills. the light load is blistering 1625 it freakin rox O I forgot its made by KENT

pattern pattern pattern. its the only way you'll know what works for you. being said; with my factory chokes ive been prone to use federal hhv 3.5" 2's and 1's for decoying geese, but with my patternmaster winchester's comparable loads pattern better. i think. i cant remember ive got it written down somewhere; burned up a lot of my steel from last fall by patterning it this spring and taking notes.

thanks again for all the help. sounds like i need to do some work on pattering with diffrent shells.

One thing about patterning is it is not an exact science. A shot pattern is a 3-Dimentional distribution of shot. Shooting a piece of cardboard is only a 2 dimentional representation of what is going on.

You should pattern each differnt type of shell several times. Statistically speaking 10 samples of each shell is going to give you a fair confidence level. I never have patterned 10 shots but shoot at least 3 to give yourself some confidence in shell selection.

Speed and oz. of shot are also important factor in your abilities. If your leading abilities aren't as good as some a faster load allows you to lead less. Some people I know prefer to have more shot as they are confindent in thier abilities and would rather have more shot in the sky. This is all stuff you start figure out the more you hunt.

I've gotten away from the Fasteel and plan to stick with the Federal from now on. I used to like Fasteel but started to miss a lot of shots with it and found better results with Federal so I'm gonna buy another case of it for this year. Can't justify buying any of the heavy shot when I kill 'em just fine with the steel...plus it is very spendy.