Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
jvjohnson

goose and duck loads

i just bought an SX3 and and in the past i have never really cared about what i shot but now that i spent the money on a nice gun i was just looking for some input on what u guys use for duck and geese.

thanks!!

If your talking brands......

Answer is, it depends. There are many brands, configurations, material types out there. Some work well out of particular guns, some not so well.

About the best thing you can do is set up a target and pattern different shells and find what works in your gun.

For instance, many claim that Winchester Xperts are great shells. I can't get them to pattern out of my guns. I've had good luck with Kent and Federal, but there are those out there that don't.

Play around and see what works good for you.

I cant get Winchester Experts to pattern to save my life. I have a buddy who claims the the same. He really likes Kent Fasteel. They jam in my 3" chamber 870. I like estates. The estates are reasonably priced. 3" #2's for puddle ducks. 3" BB's for goose and diver hunting (Golden Eyes are tough to take down). Of course, if you really want good ammo you should look into Heavy Shot, Tungsten, and other stuff I cant justify the expence right now.

I thing the guy who posted above me have stated it very well.

The very best thing you can do is to pattern your gun.

It will help you with shot selection as well.

Sifty

thanks for the input i have been looking into the Heavy shot but from what i have read about it guys seem to be shooting 3" 2's for geese and 3" 4's for ducks. is heavy shot that much better than steel that you can shoot 2's insted BB??

with heavy shot you can use smaller bb's because the will weight more than regular steel shot. so they will have more kenitic energy. me personaly i like kent's, federal premiums, winchester experts and federal black cloud.

One thing we should have asked is if you shot over decoy's or pass shooting? This has a effect on the shot size I use.

Decoying Geese and Ducks I will move down to a smaller shot size like a 3 or 4 in a 3". If we are pass shooting I move up to a 3" in the bigger loads like a 2 or BB.

I have'nt had that great of luck with the Heavy 3 1/2" loads but that just maybe my gun.

Sifty

If you want to spend the money, Rem Wingmaster HD and Kent Matrix are killer loads. You still have to be able to hit them, but they rarely wiggle when you do. Maybe it's just me, but I seem to do more clean up shots with steel. Probably not alot, but I notice it.

The price keeps one from just throwing shells up too.

Almost all my hunting is done over decoys and the key no matter what you shoot is to let them get in tight. If your taking alot of marginal shots or "skybusting", it isn't going to matter what your throwing up there.

found out last year that the light load 3.5" 3's put a hurt on ducks and geese I use the 1.25oz load not the 1+3/8 Iam sure it would work but IMO speed kills. the light load is blistering 1625 it freakin rox O I forgot its made by KENT

pattern pattern pattern. its the only way you'll know what works for you. being said; with my factory chokes ive been prone to use federal hhv 3.5" 2's and 1's for decoying geese, but with my patternmaster winchester's comparable loads pattern better. i think. i cant remember ive got it written down somewhere; burned up a lot of my steel from last fall by patterning it this spring and taking notes.

One thing about patterning is it is not an exact science. A shot pattern is a 3-Dimentional distribution of shot. Shooting a piece of cardboard is only a 2 dimentional representation of what is going on.

You should pattern each differnt type of shell several times. Statistically speaking 10 samples of each shell is going to give you a fair confidence level. I never have patterned 10 shots but shoot at least 3 to give yourself some confidence in shell selection.

Speed and oz. of shot are also important factor in your abilities. If your leading abilities aren't as good as some a faster load allows you to lead less. Some people I know prefer to have more shot as they are confindent in thier abilities and would rather have more shot in the sky. This is all stuff you start figure out the more you hunt.

I've gotten away from the Fasteel and plan to stick with the Federal from now on. I used to like Fasteel but started to miss a lot of shots with it and found better results with Federal so I'm gonna buy another case of it for this year. Can't justify buying any of the heavy shot when I kill 'em just fine with the steel...plus it is very spendy.