• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DirecTV used dish

MuleShack

Question

I was at a job site today and an DTV installer was replacing a dish from one of my customers roofs.

I was looking for one to use in the wheel house/ camper and i asked him if he was going to throw the old one away. He told me no, and i asked how much he wanted for it? He told me $45 buck for the dish only. The house was built in 05, so the dish was probably put on in late 05. Is $45 bucks a reasonable price for a used one? I looked at one new and i thouhgt it was around $90?

Is it a good deal or should I offer $25 or $30?

17 answers to this question

I have seen then for free or $5 at garage sales. I believe there was one some time ago in the Free forum on this HSOforum too. Depends on how fast you want one. I sold my sons for $10 and it was good for four tv's.

Take a look at hsolist just to get a idea on price and whats available but I think that installer was just trying to make a lot of money on something that might very well be useless to most cause it might not be good for HD and that might very well be the reason he was there swapping dish's.

Depending on the dish, 45$ would be reasonable. Did you get a look as to whether or not it had one or three (or even five) noise converters (Little heads on the end of the protruding arm)?

If it had one, I'd look elsewhere. Three or five and it's probably a good deal. I believe the differences between the amount of heads are the channels it can receive. They all receive digital signals, as Shane said, but the 3 and 5 headed dishes are required for HD channels.

I was just browsing the old craigs list and seen an outfit out of zimmerman that has like 50 ads for wholesale units. No business name just a generic email. It almost seems like he hijacked a truck and is selling them for $10 buck a piece.

I actually realized that being i'm looking for one for the fish house /camping in the summer that the tripod thing is what i would like.

Anybody else look into this "wholesaler" from zimmerman if he's legit?

Also say i buy an HD dish from this guy and get a "Good Deal" on an HD receiver from them as well...and if this was "hot" can direcTV tell this when i call them to get service hooked up on it? (We already have HD service on 2 units in the house)

Yes they can tell if it was stolen or not by the card you are activating. For that price give it a whirl.

Except that you are the one now in possession of stolen property if that's the case, and you've already given them your personal information if you got this far.

I called the guy and he sounded pretty knowledgeable and up front on pricing and usage. I'm going to go up next week and check out what he's all about if it's a store or if they are selling out of a garage or something.

I dont want or need any "hot" stuff, so i'll make sure the 8S meter is working that day.

The reason i was looking at this was he had a promotion where if you buy a dish package, you could get a receiver for $10. I was hoping that he would have something for an HD package for cheap.

Originally Posted By: Sandmannd
Yes they can tell if it was stolen or not by the card you are activating. For that price give it a whirl.

Except that you are the one now in possession of stolen property if that's the case, and you've already given them your personal information if you got this far.

True, but if you know the addy and the person and phone number you bought it from, you will be OK. You will just be turning them in.

Thanks Mopho, but 4 wanderingeyes set me up with a dish this weekend. Now i'm going to work on some type of mounting tube on the house. Where i can slide the dish pole into the tube and lock in with a pin while on the lake and remove for travel. This way i wont have to worry about the wind and moving tripod if i move the house on the lake, just spin the dish a little on the mount.

Thanks anyway.