Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leaky

How Long Have we Got?

9 posts in this topic

I'm not one who forwards emails very often. I apology up front if this has been around a while, but was curious to people's thoughts about these statements. I looked all over snopes to see if I could find anything that countered what was written here.

HOW LONG DO WE HAVE?

About the time our original thirteen states adopted their new constitution in 1787, Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years earlier:

'A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government.'

'A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury.'

'From that moment on, the majority always vote for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.'

'The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years'

'During those 200 years, those nations always progressed through the following sequence:

1. from bondage to spiritual faith;

2. from spiritual faith to great courage;

3. from courage to liberty;

4. from liberty to abundance;

5. from abundance to complacency;

6. from complacency to apathy;

7. from apathy to dependence;

8. from dependence back into bondage'

Professor Joseph Olson of Hemline University School of Law, St. Paul , Minnesota , points out some interesting facts concerning the 2000 Presidential election:

Number of States won by: Democrats: 19 Republicans: 29

Square miles of land won by: Democrats: 580,000 Republicans: 2,427,000

Population of counties won by: Democrats: 127 million Republicans: 143 million

Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Democrats: 13.2 Republicans: 2.1

Professor Olson adds: 'In aggregate, the map of the territory Republican won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens of this great country. Democrat territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in government-owned tenements and living off various forms of government welfare...' Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the 'complacency and apathy' phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population already having reached the 'governmental dependency' phase.

If Congress grants amnesty and citizenship to twenty million criminal invaders called illegal's and they vote, then we can say goodbye to the USA in fewer than five years.

Shoot - Wrong forum. How did I do from perusing recipes, trying to figure out what to cook this weekend up at the lake, to posting some esoteric stuff about the future of our democracy. confused

Sorry - Could someone please move this to the "outdoor discussion" forum?

Jim, pretty interesting stuff here, and a lot of food for thought.

While he may be smack on the money for all I know, I'm not really on board with the Dem/Rep breakdown as a way to bolster Tyler's argument. Using the 2000 elex is simply a snapshot in time and doesn't speak at all to chronological progression.

For all we know, 2008 could reverse some of those demographics.

I'd really like to see those elex stats compiled for all the presidential-year elections since the very first one. That would be something to really dig into and would show us more accurately whether the guy might be right on.

But regardless, definitely something worthwhile to think about, buddy. And hey, cooking in the recipe forum or cooking over here. Now matter where you do it, it gets hot in the kitchen. gringrin

I personally think if Obama wins and he does even half of the idiotic ideas he's come up with, we are done.

Man, I couldn't find any of that stuff in my cupboard. smirk

Quote:
If Congress grants amnesty and citizenship to twenty million criminal invaders called illegal's and they vote, then we can say goodbye to the USA in fewer than five years

I've often wondered myself what this country will look like in 10 - 15 years as whites will probably be the minority. I can hear it now, all the non-whites working to pay for the social security of old white people. It'll be interesting times.

At any rate; both McCain and Obama support the legalization of illegals so if you buy into this, say goodbye to the US of A. cry

Edit:

Meant to say "as whites will probably be the minority joining the work force", not "as whites will probably be the minority"

If Professor Olson actually made the demographic claim regarding tenements and private ownership distribution based on land area and/or population at the voting block level, I would love to debate his interpretation of the data...starting with California.

'A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury.'

See: Social Security.

Seems to me we are getting to the 'dependence' stage.

We want the government to make sure we have clean air and water (but we refuse to buy anything manufactured under such restrictions, and buy goods from China and overseas);

We want the government to bail us out when we make bad financial decisions (Mortgage bailout);

when disaster strikes (see: Hurricane Katrina) the first thing we do is run to the government for help. And when government at all levels fails us, our reaction is that we need more government.

Gas prices go up, so we demand that the government cheapen the price of gas for us.

We are allowing ourselves to be dependent on the government. The government is the first place we look when we want something, or when something doesn't go our way.

And we have to stop it.

Professor Joseph Olson of Hemline University School of Law, St. Paul , Minnesota , points out some interesting facts concerning the 2000 Presidential election:

Leaky -

That, my friend, is the bottom of a skirt.

Hamline is the university in St. Paul known for its law school.

Thank you, my sister-in-law went to school there and I got a good chuckle from that. laughgrinlaugh

Steve - I'm pretty much with you on the Dem/Rep breakdown based on one year's election cycle.

I'm also with Jarrod in that I would put us entering into the Dependence Stage. That 40% of our population is already dependend on government support is a staggering number.

Nice catch Casey! Quit looking at my skirt. grin