• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New baits from Rapala...

polarsusd81

I eluded to a couple of these in another post, but here goes. I found this info while reading about ICAST, but thought I would pass it along in here. Rapala brought some new and exciting lures out this year, including a new Clackin Rap, DT20 Sure Set, DT Fat 01, Gliding Rap and a X-Rap Shallow Shad.

Here are a few pics.

Clackin Rap, profile awfully similar to the new Red Eye Shad from Strike King. They designed a visible sound chamber made from brass with a single large BB for a deeper sound that will travel farther in the water.

picicast08rapala01.jpg

Here is the DT20 Sure Set. They took the DT16 and added a metal weight in the bill to get it to stretch just a bit deeper.

picicast08rapala04.jpg

DT Fat 01 is a mean looking super shallow crank that I will be trying out as soon as I possibly can.

picicast08rapala06.jpg

The new Gliding Rap will have an action similar to a spook with a better shape and color scheme IMO.

picicast08rapala08.jpg

And finally it is the new X-Rap Shallow Shad. Looks like a great bait for the eye guys, and bass anglers might get a few takers too.

picicast08rapala10.jpg

Looks like they're coming out with some great baits once again. That DT01 should be sweet. I'm a huge Mann's 1-minus fan, but I bet Rapala will have a bait with better action. If they'd only bring back their original balsa fat raps...Also, do they still make the taildancer? Thanks for sharing.

I have been hoping they would bring back the balsa fat raps for a long time now, ever since they stopped making them really. I think the DT series baits give the fat raps a run for their money though. I have two of the original balsa fat raps left and I guard them with my life. The taildancer is still in production, they just did a limited run of Tennessee Shad in a few different bait styles and I picked up a few of them. One of my favorite colors from Rapala for sure.

Not trying to hijack the post by anymeans but where do Mann's 1-Minus and for that matter the DT Fat 01 type baits excel? Polar I know you have been having luck with them lately any advice you could give me would be appreciated!

Thanks,

CP

I have always loved the super shallow cranks like the 1-Minus and the new DT Fat 01 will certainly be a fav. I really enjoy fishing them over the tops of weeds as you start to get towards the outside line as a search bait and when I am working something fast. Another spot I love them is anytime in stained water, for some reason that vibration they put out draws the fish in and they usually bite it before they even know what they are chasing. I have even caught channel cats on them. Any time really fishing shallow with weeds that don't quite crack the surface can be a good time to use the shallow cranks. I have a box full of just wide wobbling shallow cranks in varying colors. Some of the ones I have go as deep as 3 feet but they work well. When I get to the lake, the cranks are almost always the first bait I throw whether deep or shallow, I like to locate the fish with them.

They do look good, but as of right now I like rattlin' raps. With those new clankin' raps the rattlin' raps will surely dissapear. Any I am sure that you won't be able to buy the clankin' raps at the $2.99 price or cheaper you can usually buy rattlin' raps at. But I suppose the rattlin raps don't look as cool to the fisherman as the similar lipless cranks produced by other brands. Just like the old fat raps, out with the old in with the new, but why can't some things I like to fish just stay the same?