• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How good are Knipex?

I keep hearing how great these Knipex mini bolt cutters are and I ordered one, and a standard side cutter and a needlenose plier.

Now I've always been using the Rapala tools - no problems, but I've recently tried their Heavy Duty hook cutter with the scissor blades and I found out that I needed two hands to work it. It took more effort than a standard 7-8 inch side cutter. I returned it the same day I bought it.

Standard mini bolt cutters, those red and black ones, basically requires two hand operation. I'm hoping the Knipex mini bolt cutter is small enough that one hand operation will work.

I've seen those new Calcutta pliers at GM, but I didn't like them enough. Not cheap at close to $20 a plier.

Knipex however have a premium price tag. $40-50 each. Am I over my head?

$45-$50??? I wish I had found those prices for my last Knipex purchase.

Yep, they're worth it! I finally bought a pair this year after I was completely unable to cut a hook out of fish's mouth with my old, cheap pair. I literally watched as the cutting edge simply folded down in the shape of the hook it was supposed to be cutting. It was only a $10 pair, but it was a complete waste of $10.

I've found the Knipex to be totally usable with one hand. I've also taken RK's advice and taped on a make-shift wrist strap for when I lose my grip on the suckers from a thrashing fish. Wish I had done that on my favorite pliers, which are now at the bottom of Leech Lake...

Hiya -

Get the Knipex. Don't think twice. Seriously...

I used to go through a pair of $20 pliers every season. By the end of the year cutting anything was a 2 hand job, the jaws were sprung, and the cut end went rocketing off in a random direction at 100mph...

The Knipex I carry in my boat is at least 6 seasons old, still cuts like it's new, and has cut an awful lot of hooks over the years. Do the math on how many cheap pairs I'd have gone through in the same timeframe, and the Knipex is a money saver and then some.

Not only that, but I can cut a 7/0 one-handed. They really are the best thing out there.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Simple, easy and fast.............best way to describe the Knipex. Used other cheap ones up until this year, and could kick myself for not getting the Knipex sooner! As RK said, you won't be sorry.

PS....I found a place and only paid 30-35 for mine!!!!!

Knipex is with out a doubt the most responsible muskie release tool to have at your disposal. I have mine tied on parachute chord to my lakewood. THey are on a 10 foot chord. One handed cutting and you can go through any hook in a second of time. Also, the knipex does a great job of cutting split rings which was really important for me when I hooked a 38" pike that buried all three trebles (5/0) of a 10 inch suick in my right forearm when trying to hand land at boatside. 2 minutes of thrashing fish and hooks that made an interesting trip to the ER. I think the Knipex were the best tool that i had on board at the time. Spend the money, it will be worth better released fish and maybe you will release yourself as well...

Thorne Bros... MTO... Musky Hunter magazine, Esox Angler Magazine, Jackson Lures sells them.. and several tool shops... just gotta look around online and you'll find it...

Knipex Bolt Cutter is definitely a MUST... I have one in my tackle box all the time everywhere I go, no matter if my partner has one or not...

I've got my Knipex in yesterday...tested it out and one handed operation is very comfortable. The side cutter and nose plier are okay, but the bolt cutter is wonderful.

Not that I need a full size bolt cutter, but hmmm...I'll keep that in mind.