• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pics from this week

I've spent a decent deal of time chasing "ToughFish" this past week.

Started it off by doing a little sight fishing for hogsuckers. I could only talk 1 into biting, but got to watch and observe several for quite some time. I had to dodge and play "keep away" from all the golden redhorse that were cruising the same waters as the hogsuckers.

northern_hogsucker.jpg

Did some topwater bass fishing in the Mississippi River backwaters and this dinasouar porpoused out of the water and smashed my popper.

1st Bofin for me - 28"

ty_bowfin1.jpg

Check out the carnage on my leader and lure.

bofin_lure.jpg

On Saturday I did a little carp fishing with a few friends on the Zumbro River. I landed this 27"er 9lb 13oz

ty_27in_9_13_carp1.jpg

My wife and I took the boat out on Sunday to Lake Zumbro. She wrestled in a 24.5" and I got a 26" and 28"

28"er

ty_28in_carp2.jpg

Boy, would I like to catch a bunch of those suckers. My sucker spot has been overrun by smallmouth (dang things). I'm spending more time catching bait lately than fishing.

Steve, I won't deny the fact that I sometimes use suckers for bait (both live and cut); however one needs to be careful. The northern hog sucker (top picture - easily identifiable by the black ring around the sucker lips) is a rare catch for most as they are very elusive and in fact not near as abundant as most of the other sucker species in our state. Personally I choose to return all northern hogsuckers back to the water as they are a valuable part of or rivers and streams ecosystem. Notice how I took the picture straight up toward the sky to prevent giving away the spot. I'm not trying to make a stand or anything here, simply voice my opinion.

In reality it's like bullheads and baby flatheads. Very similar to the untrained eye, but one is much more abundant than the other. Which would you rather see taken from a system.

Again I'm not trying to be direct, rather trying to put things into perspective as not many are aware of differences (and importance/abundance) of suckers.

I never really got to feel the fight of the dogfish. I was topwater fishing right next to a massive weedbed. The fish hit and went straight into the weeds. I yanked him out, but it came back to the boat in a huge ball of weeds.

PS. He was a big "green" in the boat which have me very concerned for a brief while.

To bad the Bowfin hit the weeds. I think the Bowfin is one of my favs for fighting. They have a mixed bag of tricks. They'll stay down, go under the boat, make runs like a Pike, Tail walk! alot! and tug like a Bass. I had a 23" Bowfin tail walk right into the side of my boat last week.

With jaws like a vice. I've had them bite my hand with a jaw spreader holding there mouth open (will I though it was holding it open). Lets not forget the armour plated head and those jaws. Many a $5 lure has met its end to a Bowfin.

I think the state record was 31" long.

I love going for bowfin up by my parent's cabin in Brainerd. there's some huge ones up there. (no I won't tell what lake! wink )

had one about 10 feet from the gunnels turn and run under the boat, creased a Cherrywood on the rail and snapped it like a twig.

I'm still after that one...