• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heat/Air Blower only works on high (98 K-1500)

Thought I would post an update in case it helps someone else with a similar model year with the same issue. The resistor is located behind the glove box so you need to pull that out first (which isn't hard to get out (actually took me longer to get it lined up right putting it back in :-).

The resistor just has a couple of bolts holding it in and you need to finangle the cable powering it a little to get a ratchet on one of them.

When you pull the resistor out and put the new one in the coils on the back of the board are too tall to clear the dash so you need to tweak them a bit to get it in place than try to get them back once you clear the dash area...

Anyway wasn't too big of a deal, I see a new blower motor in my future as twice when it was first started back up the fan motor squealed followed by a nice burnt smell (assume a bearing is going out). seemed to run fine after that but my drive to work with a stop at Micky D's drive through is all of 8 minutes so hardly a long soak.

Hope this helps,

Sutty

The burnt smell could have just been the new resistor cooking off. I believe it's cooled by the air from the blower motor so any burn residue smell goes into the truck, afaik.

BTW, if you do get a new blower motor, I'd recommended getting an OEM one. I replaced mine with a common brand aftermarket and it was nearly as loud as the failing OEM and didn't seem to blow as much air. Not only that, it only lasted just over a year. The OEM I put in cost more, but I've not had to dink around with it for a number of years now and replacing it wasn't the 5 minute job it first appeared to be.