• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

55lb transom trolling motor for 17ft. Lund Angler?

Ice Cold

Question

Any one have any experience with a 55 lb thrust / 12V transom mount trolling motor on a 17 ft Lund Angler? Is that enough power or do I have to go higher and jump to a 24V motor? I plan on using it for backtrolling lindy's and do not intended to use is in big rollers. Thanks in advance.

6 answers to this question

I have a 17' Explorer wich is about the same weight and I went from a 55 to a 65 24 volt because there were times the 55# wasnt enough. Especially in a river system. Go auto pilot and co-pilot and you will be glad you did.

Trolling motors are one of those things where you'll never wish you had a smaller one. The 55 lb motor would be fine for you a lot of the time, so the question is what do you want to do about the times the 55 lb motor isn't enough, or when it drains your battery before you want to quit fishing? I'd vote for the 65 lb 24 volt motor unless you're really opposed to getting the 2nd battery ..... and if you were already planning to use a 2nd battery with a 12 volt motor then I'd for sure go with the 24 volt motor. Good luck with your decision.

Agreed....from another 17' Lund owner. Big difference, the 65 is very nice, it's the age-old adage of "doing it right the first time".....

Yes, it's easy to spend other's money, but in this case it's well worth it.