Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boatfixer

Stanky AC

11 posts in this topic

What the heck is making the AC in my 06 F 150 stink? It is a musty smell that is only there when the AC is on. I had a GMC that was the same way. (Yes I am a very clean person-Ha Ha). By the way, where is the cabin filter on that thing?

You are right on with the cabin filter. Most times when they get clogged up, they start to mold up a little and stink.

On other models and before cabin air filters, I would first check the evap. core drain tube for a blockage. That or mold build up on the evap. coil it self. They foam cleaners for the mold build on the coil and an air hose would free up standing water in evap. housing.

Good luck!

The nature of air conditioning - the ducts may stay damp. This causes a lot of mold and mildew buildup in some vehicles that causes the odors. There is a spray available that will neutralize and may clean this - you'll have to look for it in parts stores. Many AC shops will sell you a cleaning job for it, and usually overcharge for it, when all you need is the cleaner and follow the instructions on it.

Are you sure you have a cabin air filter? My listings for 06 F150 don't show one.

Very well may not. I can not recall off the top of my head.

Since the oilman brought up mildew in the duct work, I have had great luck with setting the a/c blower fan on high and selecting all the options and at the same time spraying Lysol in the cowl screen. The disinfectant will travel threw the ducts and kill bacteria causing the smell.

The oil man is correct the 06 f150 does not come factory with a cabin filter. There ideas do work, any kind of dissinfectant you spray in there will kill the bacteria and make it smell better. But the best thing to do is to prevent it in the first place. Before shutting off your truck flip the ac switch to vent (ac off) and run the blower on high for a few minutes, it will allow the evap core to warm to ambient temp and wont cause moisture build up, and cause mildew. It also dries and blows out the water that is in the case from having the air on.

I know that can be a pain, but its about the only way to prevent it from happening again!

Refrain from using max ac except on the hottest days. Running on Max will contribute to the musty smell.

Boat Fixer if you want a cabin air filter, I think they make a kit for 06 that lets you install a cabin air filter.

This used to be the Ford Kit # F65Z-18D477AA for previous years. You could call your local dealership parts department and see if this kit works or if you need another one for the 06 model year. By following the instructions in this kit, it will allow you to be able to install a cabin air filter.

Good luck!

I believe those kits were only good from 97-03, and they are no longer made. They dont fit the 04-08 models.

I figured that. Thanks 4.W.E...

Another thing I have been told that helps with this problem is to turn the AC off for quite a few minutes before you stop or shut the vehicle off for a long period of time. Apparently this lets the condinsate run out or evaporate from the system before you shut the vehicle off thus eliminating the chance for bacteria or mold or whatever causes the smell. I have been doing this for a few years and it seems to help.

Thanks guys. The condensation thing seems to be it. Another thing I was told to do was to turn on the AC, turn to defrost, set the temp to hot and let her run awhile (good day for it). It works! Then do just as NAMA said, turn off AC before shutting off vehicle to "dry it up". I guess the lysol thing works well too.