Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
theoilman

Oil Prices

6 posts in this topic

The ripple effect of crude oil prices on lubricants is now catching up.

AMSOIL motor oil prices will rise Aug 1 by around 12% over the current.

Most of the major oil companies have also announced price increases - some Aug 1, some Aug 4, some Aug 10 - by as much as an unbelievable 24%!

Hopefully with the price of crude stabilizing a bit now this will be the last of these unbelievable unprecedented increases.

If you will be buying oil soon, you better do it before Friday.

{Moderators - I tried to make this post as generic as possible to put it in the Automotive forum where it will be seen much more than if I put it in the sponsor forum.}

Maybe you're not the one with the answer, but why do crude oil prices affect the price of synthetic oil? Doesn't the fact that it is "synthetic" mean that there is not crude oil in it?

There are several reasons - first is which definition of synthetic do you use?

Today in the US (only) a "Group 3" oil is legally (lawyer definition) allowed to be called a synthetic. A group 3 oil is made by taking a traditional petroleum based lubricant and submitting it to additional manufacturing steps (which do improve it, somewhat). All of the private label and store label synthetics and most of the ones from most of the oil companies today are selling group 3 synthetics. In the rest of the world these are NOT synthetics.

The traditional definition of a synthetic oil is that it be made / build from lesser molecules. AMSOIL and Mobil 1 (and a few others) are both "group 4" synthetics that are built from other molecules. These "group 4" synthetics are called PAOs and are designed and built using other parts of (you guessed it) crude oil - using the lightest portions - things like natural gas and naptha. But they are still built using different portions of crude oil.

Also, it takes more energy to "build" a synthetic, as well as the energy involved in its shipping/distribution. Don't forget things like the bottle - the plastic of it is also another crude oil product.

Crude oil has many impacts on AMSOIL as well as all other lubricants.

Thanks for the heads up. I saw your post and put in my order. Figure now is as good a time as any to stock up on the fluids I need to winterize the outboards as well as do a trany fluid change before winter.

Not really, the lubricant is made by synthesizing the product from simpler molecules. It doesn't imply anything about the origin of the molecules. They could be from refined petroleum, rendered pork fat, whale oil, vegetable oil, etc.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• Little early as I'll be up every weekend for the next few weeks but are you pumping antifreeze or blowing out your lines?  Ran antifreeze last year but it leaves a bit of a smell.  Just blew out my lines today as a test run and it seems pretty easy.  Any worry about water staying in the water heater?  If I'm level and just open my low point should it drain sufficiently by itself? 

• Saw a few in the yard last week also, now that I have started bird feeding again. 

• I was down in NW Iowa this past week.  All kinds of mourning doves there.

Soybean and corn harvest is starting;  so spilled grain in the field may hold them there awhile. 

• Since there has been a great deal of discussion about Black Lives Matter and a variety shootings across the country I thought it might be timely to point out that this s Nat. Hispanic Heritage Month (from Sept.15-Oct.15) first proclaimed , I think,   by LBJ. The aim is to highlight some of the contributions made to this country by Hispanic's and also the independence of several Latino  countries.

So far,   from what I've seen, there have been no wild demonstrations and no property damage; have not seen any reports of police having to intervene in any festivals.

I have long felt that we do not credit the Hispanics in our midst with the attention due them. Like all other races I've met and dealt with, there have been many good solid hard working citizens and a few real throw backs. Around here we celebrate the good ones.

Something to give at least a moments thought to fellas.

• 13th season at MN Duck Camp for this old girl. Her daughter carries the workload now.

20160924_142511.jpg

20160925_093954.jpg

MJ1657 likes this

• Little early as I'll be up every weekend for the next few weeks but are you pumping antifreeze or blowing out your lines?  Ran antifreeze last year but it leaves a bit of a smell.  Just blew out my lines today as a test run and it seems pretty easy.  Any worry about water staying in the water heater?  If I'm level and just open my low point should it drain sufficiently by itself? 
    • Saw a few in the yard last week also, now that I have started bird feeding again. 
    • I was down in NW Iowa this past week.  All kinds of mourning doves there. Soybean and corn harvest is starting;  so spilled grain in the field may hold them there awhile. 
    • Since there has been a great deal of discussion about Black Lives Matter and a variety shootings across the country I thought it might be timely to point out that this s Nat. Hispanic Heritage Month (from Sept.15-Oct.15) first proclaimed , I think,   by LBJ. The aim is to highlight some of the contributions made to this country by Hispanic's and also the independence of several Latino  countries. So far,   from what I've seen, there have been no wild demonstrations and no property damage; have not seen any reports of police having to intervene in any festivals. I have long felt that we do not credit the Hispanics in our midst with the attention due them. Like all other races I've met and dealt with, there have been many good solid hard working citizens and a few real throw backs. Around here we celebrate the good ones. Something to give at least a moments thought to fellas.
    • 13th season at MN Duck Camp for this old girl. Her daughter carries the workload now.
    • We are going to get one of the females out of this litter  
    • Where's the pic's? Male or female. Mine is British, 62 lb male and full of energy. 
    • Yes still like that setup for adding smoke. I decided to try some trays instead of hanging. Last weekends Polish would untwist which I did not care for and a few broke the skins while trying to hang.   Side note the Polish patty's from the left over that could not be pushed thru were great on the grill. Might have to leave some in bulk form on purpose next time.
    • I noticed that Northern carries the Worksharp and extra belts. Cost was $79.99
  • Our Sponsors