• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

panko crumbs

What are panko crumbs?

I'm going to try this recipe this week. Open to alterations though! smile

Soak fillets in hot sauce for a day or so.

1 cup crushed corn flakes mixed with flour.

Dredge fillets in mixture....fry!

Do you think the mixture will stick to the fillets without egg?

I've never used Panko crumbs but they're spoken of highly by some folks on this site. I believe they are bread crumbs that can be found in the ethnic sections of large grocery stores.

Yeah, they are a japanese bread crumb that stays nice and crunchy when you fry them up. Awesome stuff, but they don't have much flavor on their own, so like you are planning to do with soaking the fillets should work good. If you are not soaking or marinating the fillets, a good sprinkle of Old Bay or whatever your favorite seasoning is should help, and don't forget to salt them after they come out of the oil.

My opinion on the recipe, would be not to mix the corn flakes and flour, but dip them in the flour right out of the hot sauce, then back in the hot sauce and then a dip in the crushed corn flakes or panko crumbs. It will build up a better coating, unless of course you want to keep it lighter.