• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS/Sonar Antenna

SPIN DRY

Question

5 answers to this question

I'd vote for external antenna every time if you have a spot to mount the puck. The antenna interfers with the head unit and you want them 3 feet or more apart.

The shielding in the internal gps units these days is good and will take care of the interference problem, so if you have to go with an internal antenna the 522 will work just fine. Still, it just seems better and more reliable to me to with an external antenna.

Also, all (or most) of the high-quality top-dollar units use external antennas - I think there's a message there.

Hope that helps and if you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them. Also, feel free to check out my HSOforum if you want, I carry the 520 and 522.

I assume you know about this already, but just in case you don't know Lowrance is offering a $50 rebate on either of those units right now.

Can you network the internal antenna to other depthfinders in the boat if you happen to have more than one finder? If not, that would be another reason to go external so that multiple depthfinders can use the GPS signal.

I use an external and would suggest that option if it works out for your particular set-up. The question about reception/interference always comes up when discussing a unit equipped with an internal antenna, and the easy way to just avoid that completely is go with the external mount and then you won't have to worry about it.