Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott K

Hawkins??

9 posts in this topic

Quote:
Twins interested in LaTroy Hawkins

Posted on July 28th, 2008 – 2:19 PM

By Joe Christensen

The Twins are interested in bringing back reliever LaTroy Hawkins, who was designated for assignment by the Yankees this past weekend, two persons with knowledge of the situation told the Star Tribune.

Hawkins, 35, went 1-1 with a 5.41 ERA in 33 appearances for the Yankees, who designated him after trading for Pittsburgh’s Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte.

Though Hawkins has struggled, the Twins apparently aren’t the only team interested in getting him, as several teams are searching for middle relief help.

Hawkins is making $3.5 million this season, and any team that trades for him would be on the hook for the remaining $1.25 million. The Yankees currently have 10 days to trade him or send him through waivers.

If the Yankees can’t work a trade, he’d become a free agent, and another team would be able to sign him for about $140,000, with the Yankees on the hook for the rest of his salary. But because several teams are looking for relief help, there’s a belief the Yankees will make a trade soon.

The Yankees might be willing to add cash toward Hawkins’ salary or take on another team’s unwanted contract.

One person close to Hawkins believes he would like to return to Minnesota, where he pitched from 1995 to 2003. Hawkins emerged as a dominant setup man, posting a 2.13 ERA in 2002 and 1.86 ERA in 2003.

Since then, Hawkins has struggled with the Cubs, Giants, Orioles and Yankees. But last year, he posted a 3.42 ERA in 62 appearances with the Rockies, helping them reach the World Series. There’s a belief that Hawkins is simply more comfortable when pitching for a smaller-market club.

When he faced the Twins on Wednesday, his fastball touched 95 miles per hour. With Pat Neshek injured, the Twins have been looking for help in getting the ball from their starters to closer Joe Nathan, just like Hawkins used to provide when the closer was Eddie Guardado.

We have plenty of pitchers, we just need to reorganize them, I think it would be a better idea to bring in some rh power at 3rd base!

Hmm, I really liked him when he left the team. Had some nasty stuff in that setup role. Of course that was five years ago and I doubt he's got the same stuff.

Let's get the band back together! Has Koskie recoverd from his concussions yet? I like Buscher's progress. Of course as you pointed out he's another lefty in our lineup.

no,no,no--- other than a lefty, no,no,no. I like Breslow better.

IF a ML hitter knows a 95mph heater is coming,, the ball will go a long ways sooner than later.

(shudder) this would be a move that could make me stop paying attention to my favorite team!!! OK I would still pay attention but just to see how bad Latroy Hawkins pitches!!!!

Always looking for the bargain and the cast offs. Scary. If that is what they plan on doing I am fine with the status quo. Let the kids finish what they started together.

I screamed in horror when I saw this in the paper. My wife looked at me funny, & I read it to her, & she looked like someone dipped a rat in her coffee.

No Hawkins. He still sucks.

According to the Star Tribune this morning, Hawkins was traded to Houston. Lucky break for Minnesota.