• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

August Challenge- Favorite Summer Activity

The voting is in and in a very close vote the winner of the August challenge is Favorite Summer Activity

The last month of summer so find your favorite activity and share here. Remember to review the guidelines before posting

Look here for a copy of the guidelines!

One entry per month please, the shot must be taken in August of 2008 and if you want C&C please indicated that in your post.

Please only photos and critiques and comments in this thread. If you have questions start a new thread to ask any questions so we can keep this clean with entries only. Remember this is open for everyone, not just owners of DSLR's. Point and shoots, disposable cameras... equipment does not matter. This is about learning new skills and getting you looking at a subject in a different light possibly. Choose your entry wisely, remember you only get ONE entry.

Hey, come ON now, folks!

Since one of my all-time favorite activities is photographing people and flowers, and since one of my other all-time faves is gardening, I thought I'd mount an image of someone who not only loves flowers more than I do, but knows a LOT more about them.

Won't you all join in the fun of August?

Canon 30D, Canon 100 f2.8 macro, iso200, 1/1250 at f5, handheld

2783129200_4008977f0c_o.jpg

Who doesn't like weddings? Well, I might like the receptions a little more but with a flower girl doing this half way through the ceremony I couldn't help but capture the moment. C&C welcome!!

Nikon D80, iso100, 1/250 at f6.3

flowergirl.jpg

okay, so i've never posted a picture on this site before, but i've read all the instructions and it seems like i should be able to make this happen...... trips into the backcountry, be it the boundary waters, or in this case the wind river mountains in wyoming are my favorite summer activity...... here was our kitchen last thursday night-- the sunset on the last night of our week-long trip....... i have absolutely no camera acumen whatsoever, just a point and shoot guy (thankfully there were mountains there to pick up the slack)......

105moresunsetoverspiderlakecamp-1.jpg

looking forward to having some disposable income to buy a nicer camera that would allow for some tinkering..... right now it's just an olympus fer dummies..... after seeing some of the amazing shots you guys take here, it definitely whets my appetite to actually figure out how to take better photos.....

So I had this great idea for a shot of me on my bicycle cruising down the road with a mid morning sun casting my shadow onto the ground and the sun sparkling off of the white stripe on the side of the road. Nothing but the shadow of a lone rider and markings on the road. I thought that would make for a compelling image.

Unfortunately I took a tumble off of said bicycle before I took the photo. Now I have a broken collar bone and broken finger tip. The good news is that I might have some more time to post and look at images while I am recovering. The doc says that I can't even fish until after my post op checkup next week.

Keep posting the great work.

That's too bad YF! I hope you heal fast. There should still be riding time left for you. You didn't specify, were you trying to take the picture when you fell? grin That probably wouldn't be a good idea. Get well soon!

Everyone else, those are great pics so far. I can't wait for more. I've been doing a lot of cycling this year too. Maybe I'll take a tip from Yakfisher and find a nice photo doing that. Hopefully I won't break anything!

This would have been appropriate for last month, but! It was taken August 10.

I do like to have my camera out when others are having fun. This shot was taken early on a calm Sunday while some friends where out doing what they love, barefoot waterskiing. Canon XTi, 100-300,auto. sports setting, 1/1250, 5.6.

IMG_1370.jpg

Not quite the photo I was hoping to get for this project, but this is a shot taken on a recent ride and shows a nice little paceline. We rode from the intersection of Hwy 101 and 62 out to Watertown and back (about 47miles round trip). The Photo was taken at about 11am heading East after our rest stop in Watertown. I took the shot with my Olympus 770sw, ISO 80, 1/500, f 6.3, 6.7mm of zoom with fill flash.

Mid-day-hammer.jpg

This is by no means even decent camera work but this picture makes me smile...

grouppic82208.jpg

It is my friends and I unpacking at the MN river last weekend for an evening of catfishing. Some of the best times to be had during the month of August!

The one thing my wife and I enjoy together, baseball. Twins and other major and minor league games are always a big part of our summers. This was taken in Chaska.

DSC01634.jpg

Not a great picture, the lighting conditions were horrible, but I like the expressions on my daughter's faces (the first two are my girls).

One of our summer highlights is the county fair. All three of our girls show goats, one shows her horse (the middle one in the picture), and they all participate in non-livestock 4-H projects.

2809223970_f61c1b421a_o.jpg

My favorite activity this summer has been biking. I started this year after not riding more than 10 miles a year in the last probably 20 years. Today I rode my first half century (50 miles)! I was very excited to get this done. It's my second goal of the year after I accomplished my first goal 2 weeks ago, 30 miles.

102357326.jpg