• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bleeding out a walleye

Hookmaster

Question

7 answers to this question

Well if you want your livewell full of blood sure....

I don't "bleed out" any fish I clean, usually 1 fillet has some blood on it and the other is clean, a good rinse in cold water and they both look the same.

I bleed em when I think of it. I like filleting them better if theyre bled. Considerable less mess.

When I bleed em, I do it in the livewell with rinse water, then into the cooler after about five minutes.

Most of the time I bleed them. Before heading in I slice the heart cavity and let them swim around in the livewell. When I get to shore I pull the plug and drain the water. I always hose out the livewell and have found no negative effect because of the blood. I don't know if it is better to bleed or not to bleed or if it affets taste but, the filets seem to be a brighter white.