• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Siding job questions

surfs

I'm wanting to know how I can go about finding a good contractor for a vinyl siding job (.046/better). I live in the west metro and my house currently has T1-11 and some of the trim boards are starting to rot. I've read most of the topics regarding this subject but just not sure how to go about finding some "good" contractors as Roofer has mentioned before in a post.

Thanks for the help!!

Craftsmans choice . A friend of mine is a foreman for a couple of their crews. His name is Chris Overson. He also does side jobs. He is on a bike trip and will be back this weekend.

Side jobs, ya, there you go.

I have one job to support me. Why can't others be that way?

If someone is good at something they should get payed well enough or simply have their own company. Just my opinion.

My suggestion is go to a local lumberyard and ask. Not the big box stores, a real lumberyard or supplier. You can also ask local home builders who they would refer.

I always tend to hire the person who comes to the sale and also comes to do the work. All of our subs do their own work and are licensed.

Or get paid well enough and have your own company (side work) I know that will start a debate but what is the diff? A bid is a bid is a bid! Some people like to work more and make more. Side work is a great way to start your own.

As long as they are licensed, than doing side work is fine. If they are not licensed, it is both illegal and unethical. Without a license, the homeowner no longer has the states help if there are problems. Also, the bids are not comparing apples to apples. The contractor has certain costs that he has to build into each job that the moonlighter does not.

Not just licsensed, but insured and bonded. Without their own insurance if they get hurt on your property it's your butt, and without bonding and a contract you could pay them and they could walk away.

You can save alot of money having things done "on the side" but make sure you know who they are or it could easily cost much more than having it done right the first time.

I am a Licensed Contractor and the State Licensing is a joke. The homeowner can take out the permit and hire anybody they want. The State's "help" is no help at all.

How do you know that? Have you had a claim with the state?

I agree the state licensing does not teach you anything, but it is a comfort for the homeowner. If they pull the permit, they are responsible for the work and everyone who is working there. If anyone wants that type of responsibility to save a few bucks, have at it. Just don't whine when something goes wrong and you have to pay a large bill (doctor bill or mold problems, etc....) out of your own pocket.

The newest homeowner scam I heard...........A homeowner had a $400,000+ home. Had a huge claim with siding, gutters, roof, etc... He took the money (somehow got the checks signed), and let the home go back to the bank.

Now, a possible new buyer for a repo'd home wants to know what kind of "good deal" I can give him to fix the house, since he will be paying out of pocket. The guy is saving about $100K on the home and trying to get the work done cheap.

Right there are two people that don;t help the world go round whatsoever. I have no respect for that and I hope the guy who ran off with the money gets jail time for such a stunt.

Here are a few pics I took today. This is from a framer trying to be a sider a few years ago. And yes, he had the cheapest bid. Let's just say this homeowner is now paying us more money now just to redo the siding than he paid that guy to frame and side the house.

100_1294.jpg

100_1296.jpg

Be careful who you hire. There are many siders who make these simple mistakes also. There are many many houses that leak out there and the homeowners never know until everyone gets sick and the house is nearly worthless.

Actually some of the corner boxes were falling apart.

In the classes I attended for continuing education, these siding mistakes were brought up and explained quite a bit. If contractors would actually pay attention, rather than think they know it all, they would be alot better off.

These flashing fixes are old school stuff. It just got forgotten when the housing boom came in and big name builders put in tons of houses for cheap, so they had to have cheap labor. I could name a few, but I think it's against forum policy. Just watch the tv ads and you'll figure out who I'm talking about.

The picture you posted, is without a doubt, one of the biggest problem with production labor that is either untrained, or doesnt know enough to put the kick out flashing in at the eave end of a roof to wall connection . I knows its not as simple as this, but a 35 cent kickout flashing, properly installed would've eliminated 95% of that damage, assuming that the lack of a kickout flashing was the only problem there.

Obviously, there may have been more of a problems somewhere else, because of the rot on the adjoining wall under the eave. Ice damming maybe, or a leaky roof to wall connection up further?

As long as they are licensed, than doing side work is fine. If they are not licensed, it is both illegal and unethical. Without a license, the homeowner no longer has the states help if there are problems. Also, the bids are not comparing apples to apples. The contractor has certain costs that he has to build into each job that the moonlighter does not.

There is a big difference in passing the state test and actually doing the work.I am also a licensed contractor. I have yet to meet a contractor who specializes in all aspects of home building. I can see someone specializing in mabe 2 or 3 jobs but Roofer shows what happens when a framer tries to be a sider, and you would probably get the same with a sider trying to be a framer.Someone who does that particular job day in and day out will offer you a better product,and a lower price in the long run and complete the job alot faster, compared to mr side job. I am personally a framer/finisher and have roofed for a few years. I am not a rocker,sider,cement finisher,bricklayer,and have never done split shakes. Sure i would do these jobs on my own house but I am realistic and wouldn't try it on a customers house just because I need the money.

edit: There is a difference in being licensed and being competent

Come to the western part of the state we do more then framing or siding.I've done concrete work, framing, siding, shingling, windows, and trim all on one job (Not all of us but a few of us).

I agree with what your saying I think they have to have worked in the field for some years (at lease 5) and then pass the state test. There a bunch of bad contractors out there.