• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Mono - Opinions????

PTocko

Question

I don't want this to be about Mono vs. Braided vs. Flouro etc. Mono is what works best for me in my application - now I just want some thoughts on what the best Mono line out there is. I've tried Trilene XT (don't like much), Gamma and Stren Magnathin (both of which I think do like, not enough time with either though). 6 to 8 pound test, "general" fishing applications. Reason I say general fishing is I "only" have four rods so in many cases I have to have a rod do double duty. Most of my fishing (80%) is vertical to horizontal jigging / rigging for crappies / walleys. 10% is flipping beatle spins or tube jigs etc. up against docks for big sunnies / crappies. 5% is serious casting for northerns / bass. 5% is trolling crank baits. I'm pretty well sold on the Gamma but if there are other thoughts I am open to learning a thing or two as well. Thanks and good fishing! Paul

I've used Stren and Cajun and one other brand I can't remember but I keep going back to Trilene XL. Not totally happy with it but I like it better than the others. Going to pick up a spool of Gamma next time I'm in town and give that a try.