Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PTocko

Best Mono - Opinions????

27 posts in this topic

I don't want this to be about Mono vs. Braided vs. Flouro etc. Mono is what works best for me in my application - now I just want some thoughts on what the best Mono line out there is. I've tried Trilene XT (don't like much), Gamma and Stren Magnathin (both of which I think do like, not enough time with either though). 6 to 8 pound test, "general" fishing applications. Reason I say general fishing is I "only" have four rods so in many cases I have to have a rod do double duty. Most of my fishing (80%) is vertical to horizontal jigging / rigging for crappies / walleys. 10% is flipping beatle spins or tube jigs etc. up against docks for big sunnies / crappies. 5% is serious casting for northerns / bass. 5% is trolling crank baits. I'm pretty well sold on the Gamma but if there are other thoughts I am open to learning a thing or two as well. Thanks and good fishing! Paul

The best monoline is going to be the one that you learn to use best. These are what I've used and is measured agains Trilene XL 4-6# test.

For me - Silverthread. It's a very consistent line from beginning to end - my got to line. If line breaks it's where it's weakest - usually the knot.

Gamma. It's a very strong line. I've only used 4 and 6 lb lines, but to me it's inconsistent. Line deformations and unsuspecting weak spots.

Yozuri Hybrid. Strongest 4# line at 8# break strength. It's very smooth but weak spots on line and will break suddenly if stressed. More stiff than others.

Stren Magnathin. Small diameter and supple makes it really great for casting distance as well as for finicky fish. It does scratches and frays easily and line stripping is a requirement.

Suffix Mono is my New favorite Mono I use the 8lb for my River fishing and I have 20lb rigged on one of my cat poles.

It's an amazingly strong line with the highest breaking point of any mono I've used. I use the HI-Vis Green.

IMO it's worth the extra cash!

I like Suffix Elite, too! Great line.

In heavier lines, I like Trilene Big Game. It's tough as nails if you can deal with the memory.

If you're talking about strictly mono then Trilene XL is my favorite. But I have been slowly swithching my mono reels over to Gamma copoly, which I am becoming a big fan of. Like you I do a lot of walleye and crappie fishing with Gamma.

can't stand the chameleon, but favorite is maxima ultra green and I'm falling in love w/ maxima perfection. I wish it was more available, but the big spools of maxima go on reels awesomely smooth for me.

For most lake fishing trilene XL 4 to 8#, river or stream trilene XT 4 to 8#.

Haven't used a lot of mono, mostly fireline/PowerPro. I've been pretty happy with P-Line CXX (copoly), seems to have less stretch then some I've used - but also is pretty stiff. Being use to the braided stuff, the extra stretch I've experienced with some Mono line can drive you crazy until you get use to it.

Just started trying Gamma Copoly. So far I like it (used mostly on crankbait baitcaster rod). Still seems to have more stretch then I'm used to.

Trilexe XL green is pretty tough to beat. Especially 6lb test.

I keep it simple and I have used about every kind of new or gimmicky line...I use three kinds of line Trilene, Trilene and Trilene....nothing else and I don't work for Berkley.

I keep it simple and I have used about every kind of new or gimmicky line...I use three kinds of line Trilene, Trilene and Trilene....nothing else and I don't work for Berkley.

lol'S

What's the historical story behind the Berkly kid who started Trilene in the gargage/basement? I think he started making nylon coated steel leaders. Then eventually got into nylon spun lines and turned that into fishing line.

Cabelas Pro on the 1/4 lb spools. Very tough, doesn't break easily, doesn't seem to twist, and it's cheap. Can respool all the reels two or three times for $8. I recently tried the Cabelas Pro Premium or something like that. It is a copolymer, mono and floro, or something like that. It seemed to twist easily and frayed at teh swivel to the point where I was breaking it on hooksets. I'm switching everything back to theoriginal Pro.

Trilene XL, although I am trying Trilene Sensation this year on a rod to see how that works for mostly jigging/live bait.

For most applications using mono I use Silver Thread. I've been very pleased with it's performance. I usually find in online in the big bulk spools.

Im a fan of the Trilene XT. Ive got 8lb test on my worm rod and 14lb on my jig rod., I love it

Trilene XT or XL are hard to beat on spinning gear. Trolling I like big game or Gamma. Thats when I do run mono.