• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camp fire cooking

I cook most of the same stuff that I would cook on a charcoal grill, only exceptions would be bigger stuff that is better with the cover on, but I'm sure you could also do them with foil. I've done burgers, steak, ribs, chicken breasts, brats, this weekend I did chicken thighs. Start your wood fire an hour early, gets some coals built up, at the same time I put some small pieces of wood on the grate to 'sanitize it' as they burn off, let the fire die down, scrape the coals into a pile off to the side, and start grilling. Have some small pieces of wood to add to the fire to keep it going and hot, and some tin foil for the grate in case the gaps are too wide. Easy to do and you get the wood fire taste.

We make a lot of hot dogs on a stick, smores, and pie iron items like ham and cheese, fruit pies, breakfast omelets in toast. Ocassionally we'll venture into the more traditionally grilled things as well (burgers,steaks).