• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tow Vehicle Mileage

cray

I need a new tow vehicle. I am looking at getting a newer, used SUV. I have narrowed it down to a 4x4 4-runner, Trailblazer or Explorer. I will be towing a 16ft aluminum boat w/ a 40 hp motor.

Does anyone use any of these vehicles with a similar rig? If so, what kind of mileage do you get when towing. Thanks.

I have an 05 Trailblazer and tow a 16 foot Lund Alaskan with a 60hp E-tec. I get around 10-11 at 80 mph, and 14-15 at 65 mph. Interestingly, I only get about 16-17 in mixed driving when I don't tow, so the boat doesn't make that much difference if I keep her below 65. Above that and the mileage gets brutal.

Safe to say my trips are a lot slower this summer than ever before with gas at $4.

I just went through this replacing my full size truck. I ended up with a V6 4Runner and the main reason was gas mileage. I've had it for a month now and have played around with the mileage computer, here's what I know:

The computer is about 10% optimistic (all these numbers are what the computer says).

Towing @ 75mph - 17.5 mpg, I only towed my boat that one time it's a 16.5' smokercraft with a 90 merc I had 3 guys and gear for a week.

No trailer cruise @ 55 mph - 33 mpg

No trailer cruise @ 65 mph - 25 mpg

Average driving (50/50 mix of city and hwy) - 23 mpg

I'm pretty geeky when it comes to numbers and gas mileage

If you're looking for good gas mileage I would not get the V8 4runner.

Wow, MJ, that is pretty good! How is the V6 on power? Is the V8 4Runner the 4.7L? I've got a Sequoia--great engine, but eats way more gas than your V6 4Runner. Granted, it's a lot larger vehicle, though. Very impressed with your mileage, though!

Wow, MJ, that is pretty good! How is the V6 on power? Is the V8 4Runner the 4.7L? I've got a Sequoia--great engine, but eats way more gas than your V6 4Runner. Granted, it's a lot larger vehicle, though. Very impressed with your mileage, though!

Yea but keep in mind it looks like the computer is 10% high on all those numbers.

The power is fine, I think they have 230 hp, I've only had it for a month and I plan on upgrading my boat some day so it might be an issue down the road. It's rated to tow 5,000 lbs but not wanting to max out that rating I'm guessing I'm limited to maybe a 4,000 lbs boat/trailer.

Yes the V8s are the same as the Tundras and Sequois (that's what I had before), I was running about 16 avg on my tundra, from what I saw while researching these the V8 4runners are about 1 point above that.

Yes the V8s are the same as the Tundras and Sequois (that's what I had before), I was running about 16 avg on my tundra, from what I saw while researching these the V8 4runners are about 1 point above that.

Sounds about right. I can touch 16 on the highway, but average about 14. I'm guessing my Sequoia weighs a bit more than a Tundra, though.

I love my V6 4-Runner. Plenty of power, good gas mileage and a very underrated 4L (tons of torque). Throw on some beefy AT tires and good luck getting stuck.

White%20Bass%20-%20Mud.jpg

Check out Subaru Ourbacks. Full time for wheel drive and the newer ones 2005 on will tow 3000 to 3500 lbs I'm using at 2002 to two my 2000 lbs rig. Good power I can run 70-75 mph with no problem and they are blast to drive