• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brake Squeal - 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. New front brakes and rotors last winter. Front brakes squeal when stopping. I have checked all front pads, and it IS NOT the wear indicators, and there is plenty of pad left. Any suggestions?

You can always try to scuff up the pads and rotors with a sanding disk and reinstall. This will break up the glaze and give a none rotational pattern to start with again.

I would either live with the noise and see if goes away (as long as you have confirmed the pads are good), or I would do the above.

New last winter, doesnt mean they are new or good now. MN takes a toll on metal parts, rotors especially! I would machine them and check the pad material while you have them off!

Motor magazine had a great article on rotors this month. If I can find it I'll get it posted. Basically what they where saying is that a thin layer of brake material deposits onto the rotor when you brake. This layer also replaces itself every time you brake. When this layer builds up excessively the rotor is considered glazed. Machining the rotor will remove the glaze and give the brake pad a fresh start.

The quality of pad that you used will also contribute the this problem. We tried a less expensive pad at our shop and quickly realized that the quality was less. Lots off noise complaints, and premature wear outs where common!!

Ya, what air says is right on the money.

I was at a Ford seminar a couple years back that was all about brakes. They said in certain brake pads they use a high or improper amount of bonding agent (glue) to hold the semi-metallic brake pad material together. During the braking, this high temp glue stuff transfers it’s self in small amounts to the rotor and after time causes the squeak. Hence the term “glaze build up”.

I went to one of those too! The way you brake also has a bearing on this. Too light of braking can cause bonding agent buildup and glazing by not heating the rotor enough to remove it. But, use them too hard and they wear faster and warp rotors. Gotta do it juuuusst right...... wink