• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Salmon/Lake Trout Fishing

Hi Tami and Lisa,

Well maybe what I should do is see if we can plan an a.m. trip to go fishing up out of Knife River Marina, on Lake Superior for Lake Trout.

Most Kings that we catch are on Lake Michigan. There are some Kings in lake Superior, but not many and they are often on the smaller size. We do have a Great Lakes boat that we keep up at Knife River Marina for the summer. My husband would have to go though, as he is better at dockng the larger boats then I am. I can run the lines though and show you how we troll in the big lakes.

Lake Trout fishing isn't all that exciting as compared to King salmon fishing, they don't fight as much, but still fun! Trolling the big Lake is a totaly different type of fishing then fishing Walleye, Bass, etc., if you have never done it, great experience to see how Downriggers work, Dipseys, etc. I can show you all that.

Basically we would be Trolling, MN side we can have 2 rods per person on MN lake Superior side (3 per person WI side).

I could take up to 3 women out some a.m. on a weekend. The boat comfortably fishes 5 max. It even has a stand up head (bathroom) on the boat. We have all the gear, all you would need to bring is warm clothes, sometimes surface temps are still in the upper 40's in areas on the lake, can be warm on shore and very chilly on the big lake. Also need to bring a MN Fishing License with a Lake Superior Trout stamp. And a cooler to bring some fish home (assuming they bite). Normally an a.m. outing on Lake Superior is what we do. Afternoon bite usually not as good.

There is room for another women also! (sorry guys), If several women want to go, just let me know, we might do 2 morning trips. The afternoons aren't very good for us on Lake Superior, so just an a.m. trip. P.S. The scenery is great also!

Sound like fun? If interested let me know and I will look at some dates.

Heidi

[email protected]

Heidi....maybe you'd like to plan a late fall or spring fling up that direction. It sounds like there's a good bunch of us that would come. We're a pretty resourceful bunch, we love to camp and be outside, you would just need to pick a date and give us some framework to plan by.

Is anybody available Aug 9th and 10th, which would be Saturday/Sunday a.m. ??

Many campgrounds up the North Shore, including several State Parks with scenic hiking trails, etc., great area for camping.

Teresa - It is better fishing for Lake Trout inthe Knife River area in July, Aug and Sept. not great in the spring in that area.

Spring is awesome for Walleye fishing though!

Heidi

The next dates available wouldn't be until Sept. 6th and 7th.

We are going on vaction for 9 days in the middle of August, then the weekend after that is Labor day weekend.

So those are the 2 weekends we have open right now. Let me know which one works for most people. Unfortunatly it can't be both weekends, we have a "list" of people to take out on the boat. So we will have to pick one or the other.

So Aug 9th, 10th or Sept 6th and 7th? If neither of those weekends work, then we can look at a weekend later in September.

What works for you ladies?

Should be a good time!

Heidi

I am unsure right now Heidi. I have some life changes in the works (it's NOT bad changes though) and have to do a wait and see until I can get a schedule. I will now be working weekends but not every weekend I think. Will know more this Saturday I hope! grin

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Check out the HotSpotOutdoors Salmon Show we did with the Fishin Magicians on Lake Michigan. You can see it linked to at the top of this thread.

I'm trying to arrange a visit with Muskybait, but it would be a shame not to fish with you if you're around for the weekend, or maybe you'd like to come to Lake Bemidji for some Northern fishing????

lisa, working weekends cry looks like the fish should rebound a bit then. grin will your guide stay home on your work weekends or will he say see ya sunday nite honey when i get back? whistle maybe i might need to go with him then so your reels dont get rusty! smirklaughwink

Hi,

Went fishing out of Knife River Marina on lake Superior this a.m. with a few friends, on the "Opti 2". Caught 7 lakers, plus a few more that didn't stick". Largest was 12 pounds, other 6 were in the 5 to 6 lb range, the smaller ones were "Leans" better tasting. Flasher/fly and Dodger/fly best baits.

They are nibbling!

Heidi

Teresa,

Well fishing is free. So if you are camping or staying in a hotel, etc, gas for your own vehicle, etc. You should be able to do it very, very cheap.

I don't need or want any gas money, etc. for the boat....Free and fun! We already have the boat slipped at the Marina for the summer, we go out many times a summer. No big deal to us, we fish with many different people every summer. It is easy, we just jump in and go.

Yesterday we fished from 6:30 till noon. Flat calm yesterday also, the weather was great. Lots to do around Duluth/Canal Park/North Shore, ect. in the afternoon.

Heidi