Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ikeslayer

Bullhead immators

13 posts in this topic

Heading to a lake where one of the main forages is bullheads. Anyone ever faced this before? What immates a bullhead well. any help appreciated. thanks ike

Gulp Gobby in black or dark brown, mabe green and marker the top half brown?????

all the "goby" style baits, like mentioned above on the market now with the fat heads. Some market lures as sculpin lures too maybe also with fat heads. If you want a finnesse lure the ZOOM meathead in greenpumpkin would be good.

swim a black/blue jig. I have found that a zoom big salty chunk works well for this. smile

Hey Ike! SluggoMaster has your answer. I would use a black 1/4 oz swim jig with a 5" black or blue grub on tail down. Fish it like a spinnerbait and hang on.

Chuck

Not the best time of year for it but a black spinnerbait can be good. Could give it a shot in the morning or evening.

Ike- I have fished a lot of lakes like you describe.. And to be real honest, you just have to make your lure available.. The reason Bullhead are a main forage is simple... They are slow.. Are full of fat, and are easy to catch.. One of my largest bass I have ever caught had about a 10" bullie sticking out of its throat.. it hit a pop-R..

My silly advice, take it for what its worth.. Fish the lake, throw lures that will cover the structure, worry about what they are eating later.. I am all for match the hatch, dont get me wrong, but worry about presentation first.

if your looking for a bullhead imatation, I would look at a black Castaic plastic or some other black swim lure or like others have suggested a black swim jig.

I caught the bass in my avitar on a frog...had a big bullhead tail sticking out of its mouth. I like the suggestions of the black swim jig, however, if their feeding, their feeding! and will hit most anything presented correctly

craig plummer said it black jig and a big trailer

most of the time a big profile bait is all that is needed with the water color there likley won't get a good look at it before the hit it

for the lake your heading to, most of the time anything will do

but if fishing is tough it won't matter you throw it's gonna be tough no matter what!

I have had days of 25-30 ligget 4-5 lbers and the next trip struggle to get bit by 1of those fish

one other thing a lot of anglers throw black there.and the lake see angling pressure

keep in mind pressured fish often times will smoke a white jig when the won't touch a darker shade

you'll be fine!!!

Hiya -

Another good one is a plain old tube. Black/neon or green pumpkin...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm