• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

exterior paint question

island guy

My older house never has taken paint well. Blisters and peels way to soon. I've updated and improved ventilation and scraped all the old stuff off that I can.

Would there be any benefits to using a oil based primer versus latex? Would oil seal better? Any problems putting a latex over the oil base?

I usually buy a brand name quality paint but also thought I would try a different brand. Had been using sherwin-williams in the past. Any favorites on brands?

Thanks!!

I think primers today are all pretty good,I once a few years back did what you are asking oil based primer with latex over,after it dried the latex would peel right off! Dont remember brand names,but since I have gone oil on oil or oppsite.

Oil based primers are the way to go on exterior jobs. Latex finish coat over oil is the way I have always done it. Latex needs to "breath" so if you put a latex paint over a latex primer that allows moisture to flow threw both and cause other problems.

My question to you is... Is your house old enough to have lead based paint on it? (pre 1965ish) If it does, no paint will stick well to it, ever frown. It will look good for a while, but expect to paint every 4-5 years or so. Stripping it down or having new sidding installed are your only chances to stop the peeling at that point.